Energy and Satelites and signs

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, we discussed the direction of the velocity and the difference between total mechanical energy and kinetic energy in relation to the given problem. We also addressed possible errors in the calculations and the role of friction in the loss of kinetic energy after the collision.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8308/deskqd.jpg

Solutions

[PLAIN]http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6941/32144235.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two problems

For part b, shouldn't the mass m have a positive velocity v₀ since it is going counter clockwise? How do we know that v₀ for mass m is negative? Because my answer was the same except by a negative sign...

For part c, when they say the total mech energy, after collision, why is that different from the kinetic energy after the collision?

Here is what I did

[tex]\stackrel{1}{2}mv_{0}^2 + \stackrel{1}{2}(3m)v_{0}^2 = \stackrel{1}{2}(3m + m)v'^2[/tex]

[tex] 2mv_{0}^2 = 2mv'^2 [/tex]

[tex]v_{0}^2 = v'^2 [/tex]

[tex]{\sqrt{\stackrel{GMe}{2Re}} }^2={ \stackrel{1}{2}\sqrt{\stackrel{GMe}{2Re}}^2}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{GMe}{2Re} = \stackrel{1}{4}\stackrel{GMe}{2Re}[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{GMe}{2Re} = \stackrel{GMe}{8Re}[/tex]
I calculated the loss of kinetic energy after the collision or the heat gained by friction? If I were to approach it like that, how should I go to get the answer in the Key?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your post and for your efforts in solving the problem. I will address your two questions separately.

For part b, it is important to consider the direction of the velocity in relation to the chosen coordinate system. In this case, the velocity v₀ of mass m is negative because it is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the coordinate system. This is why it is important to be consistent with your coordinate system throughout the problem. If you had chosen the opposite direction as positive, then v₀ would be positive as well.

For part c, the total mechanical energy after the collision is different from the kinetic energy after the collision because mechanical energy includes both kinetic and potential energy. In this case, the potential energy is due to the gravitational interaction between the masses and is not conserved during the collision. Therefore, the total mechanical energy will change after the collision, but the kinetic energy alone will not be conserved.

Your approach to solving the problem is correct, but your calculations may have some errors. I would suggest going through your steps again and double checking your algebra to see if you made any mistakes. It is also important to note that the loss of kinetic energy after the collision is due to both friction and the change in potential energy, so you will need to consider both factors in your calculations.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is important because it is essential for all processes and activities in the universe, including powering satellites and creating signs.

2. How are satellites powered?

Satellites are powered by a combination of solar panels and batteries. The solar panels convert sunlight into electricity, which is stored in the batteries for use when the satellite is not facing the sun.

3. Can satellites run out of energy?

Yes, satellites can run out of energy if their solar panels get damaged or if their batteries stop working. However, most satellites have backup systems in place to prevent this from happening.

4. What role do satellites play in energy production?

Satellites play a crucial role in energy production by providing valuable data and information about Earth's energy resources. They can track changes in energy consumption, monitor renewable energy sources, and aid in the discovery of new energy sources.

5. How are signs powered?

Signs are typically powered by electricity from a power grid or by individual power sources such as batteries or solar panels. The type of power source used depends on the location and purpose of the sign.