Energy Calcs for Spinning Propeller w/ 6V DC Motor

In summary: So the power usage will be the same as the power supplied by the motor.In summary, the user is designing a gadget that includes a plastic propeller attached to a shaft and a 6V DC motor. They need to do a basic energy analysis of the set-up, which includes the kinetic energy of the propeller and the energy supplied by the motor. The user is unsure if the energy supplied by the motor is constant or if there is an initial surge and then a lesser energy supply. They also want to know how to analyze power usage in relation to time. The expert explains that the power usage will be the same as the power supplied by the motor, and this can be calculated using the formula P = E/t.
axe34
Hi, I'm designing a gadget whereby I'm spinning a plastic propeller attached to a shaft which is attached to a 6V DC motor.

I'm required to do a basic energy analysis of the set-up. The kinetic energy of the propeller is 0.5*I*w^2 (w=omega=angular velocity).

Due to friction (air etc) then the motor will presumably have to supply energy to 'replenish' this lost energy.

My questions are:

1. Is the energy supplied by the motor constant? Or is there an initial surge to get the propeller going, then a somewhat lesser energy supply to keep it going?

2. How do I relate this to time; i.e. how do I analysis power usage?

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to friction (air etc) then the motor will presumably have to supply energy to 'replenish' this lost energy.
This is energy per time, or power.
1. Is the energy supplied by the motor constant? Or is there an initial surge to get the propeller going, then a somewhat lesser energy supply to keep it going?
This is hard to tell and depends on details of the motor.
2. How do I relate this to time; i.e. how do I analysis power usage?
What exactly do you want to analyze?

Hi, Ok, If you can answer this then it'll help me figure this out. Presuming no energy is lost between the motor and spinning propeller, then the propeller has a kinetic energy = energy supplied by the motor?

If the propeller has this kinetic energy for say 60 secs then what is the power usage of the propeller?

axe34 said:
Hi, Ok, If you can answer this then it'll help me figure this out. Presuming no energy is lost between the motor and spinning propeller, then the propeller has a kinetic energy = energy supplied by the motor?
Yes. And that is because of the law of conservation of energy.

axe34 said:
If the propeller has this kinetic energy for say 60 secs then what is the power usage of the propeller?
##P=\frac{E}{t}##
P is power
E is energy
t is time

axe34 said:
The spinning propeller itself will lose energy.

Whatever the propeller will lose to the environment, and this is the same as the motor has to provide to keep it spinning.

Likes 1 person

What is the purpose of energy calculations for spinning a propeller with a 6V DC motor?

The purpose of energy calculations is to determine the amount of energy needed to make the propeller spin at a desired speed using a 6V DC motor. This can help in designing efficient propeller systems and choosing the appropriate motor for the task.

How do you calculate the energy required to spin a propeller with a 6V DC motor?

The energy required can be calculated by multiplying the voltage of the motor (6V) by the current (in amps) drawn by the motor to spin the propeller. This will give you the power (in watts) needed to spin the propeller. To calculate the total energy, you can then multiply the power by the time the motor will be running.

What factors can affect the energy calculations for spinning a propeller with a 6V DC motor?

The factors that can affect the energy calculations include the efficiency of the motor, the weight and design of the propeller, the air resistance, and the load on the motor. Other environmental factors such as temperature and altitude can also impact the energy needed.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when conducting energy calculations for spinning a propeller with a 6V DC motor?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when working with electricity and motors. Make sure to use proper protective gear, work in a well-ventilated area, and follow the manufacturer's instructions. It is also recommended to use a circuit breaker or fuse to protect against potential electrical hazards.

How can energy calculations for spinning a propeller with a 6V DC motor be used in real-world applications?

Energy calculations can help in designing and optimizing propeller systems for various applications such as drones, boats, and wind turbines. They can also be used in determining the energy efficiency and cost of using a 6V DC motor to spin a propeller compared to other motor options.