Energy Change in Processes: Explanations Included

In summary, water freezes, stone falls under gravity, and water evaporates when the temperature stays the same. Internal energy increases during melting, but temperature remains constant.
chocofingers
Could anybody tell whether the internal energy in the below mentioned processes is increasing , decreasing or remains the same!
And please provide explanation as well!

a) water freezing at constant temperature
b) stone falling under gravity in a vacuum
c) water evaporating at constant temperature
d) stretching a wire at constant temperature

What I believe is that it would increase in processes c & d. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
i might be wrong, but internal energy is dependent on temperature change. If temperature is constant, there should not be any change in internal energy. no?

yeah I too thought the same... but during melting internal energy increases ... why?? although the temperature is constant ///

chocofingers said:
yeah I too thought the same... but during melting internal energy increases ... why?? although the temperature is constant ///

To change the phase from solid to liquid, it takes an input of energy. This energy only causes the materiel to melt, not to increase in temperature. Once the materiel has liquified, any further energy will cause the temperature to rise again. Same thing happens when it transitions to a gas from a liquid.

Drakkith said:
To change the phase from solid to liquid, it takes an input of energy. This energy only causes the materiel to melt, not to increase in temperature. Once the materiel has liquified, any further energy will cause the temperature to rise again. Same thing happens when it transitions to a gas from a liquid.

So it means that during melting,boiling or any such process, internal energy remains constant ?

I think what drakkith is saying is, internal energy does increase in melting process as there is an input of heat energy to the substance, however temperature remains constant while melting.

okey thanyou, yinx & drakkith... I got it :)

thnxz dorebase...

Related to Energy Change in Processes: Explanations Included

What is energy change in processes?

Energy change in processes refers to the transformation of energy from one form to another during a physical or chemical change. This change can occur through various processes such as heating, cooling, combustion, or other chemical reactions.

Why is energy change important?

Energy change is important because it allows for the functioning of various systems and processes in our daily lives. It is also crucial for the Earth's ecosystems and the survival of living organisms. Understanding energy change is essential for developing sustainable energy sources and reducing our impact on the environment.

What factors affect energy change?

The factors that affect energy change in processes include temperature, pressure, reactants' concentrations, and the nature of the substances involved. Other factors such as catalysts, inhibitors, and the presence of electromagnetic radiation can also influence energy change.

How is energy change measured?

Energy change is measured using the unit of joules (J) in the SI system. Other units such as calories (cal) and kilowatt-hours (kWh) are also used for measuring energy change. In some cases, energy change can be calculated using equations, such as the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the sum of heat and work.

What are some real-life examples of energy change in processes?

There are many real-life examples of energy change in processes, such as the conversion of solar energy into electricity through solar panels, the combustion of fossil fuels to power vehicles, and the metabolism of food in our bodies. Other examples include the evaporation of water, the release of energy from batteries, and the chemical reactions involved in photosynthesis.