Energy conservation problem (need closure)

In summary, the small mass m sliding without friction along the looped track is to remain on the track at all times, even at the very top of the loop of radius r. a) calculate, in terms of the given quantities, the min. release height h. if actual release height is 2h, calculate b) normal force exerted by track at bottom of loop c) normal force exerted by track at top of loop d) normal force exerted by track after block exits loop onto flat section. Homework Equations Ek=0.5mv^2/r, Eg=mgh, Fc=mv^2/r, Fn=m(v^2/r-mg), and Ftotal=
qswdefrg

Homework Statement

the small mass m sliding without friction along the looped track is to remain on the track at all times, even at the very top of the loop of radius r.
a) calculate, in terms of the given quantities, the min. release height h.

if actual release height is 2h, calculate
b) normal force exerted by track at bottom of loop
c) normal force exerted by track at top of loop
d) normal force exerted by track after block exits loop onto flat section

Homework Equations

Ek = 0.5mv^2
Eg = mgh
Fc = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a) total energy = mgh
mass must remain on track at top of loop, so

mgh = 0.5mv^2 + mg(2r)
h = 2.5r

b) Does the release height matter? Because if mass does not accelerate up nor down, then Fn =mg? Is this the same for d)?

c) Centripetal force keeps mass moving
Fn = mv^2/r - mg
Fn = m(v^2/r - mg)

I'm not sure if this is right either.

any pointers/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tiny-tim said:
hi qswdefrg! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

the mass will maintain contact with the track only if the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=73" is non-zero

find that reaction force by using Ftotal = ma, with a being the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=27"

start again! :smile:

at the top of the loop

Fnet = FN - Fg = ma

FN = mv2/r + mg

FN = m(v2/r + g)

this is similar to the answer I had before. I realize now that I hadn't used the 2h at all. Am I supposed to use energy conservation to figure this out?

Last edited by a moderator:

yes, use conservation of energy to find what v is

(but your equation is wrong … a is in the same direction as g … anyway, how else would you get FN = 0?)

tiny-tim said:

yes, use conservation of energy to find what v is

(but your equation is wrong … a is in the same direction as g … anyway, how else would you get FN = 0?)

I got v2= g(2h-r)

So is the equation is Fn+Fg=ma?

Sub in velocity and I get Fn=2mg[(h/r)-1]. Is this correct?

Never mind my previous post; I think I've got it now.

at the top:

v2= 4g(r-h)

Fnet=Fc=Fn+Fg
Fn=mv2/r - mg
sub in v2
Fn= {[4mg(r-h)]/r } - mg

at the bottom:

v2= 4gh

Fnet=Fc=Fn-Fg
Fn=mv2/r + mg
Fn= (4mgh/r) + mg

at the end:

Fn= mg

:confused: *fingers crossed*

(just got up :zzz: …)

(b) and (c) look fine :smile:

(though you haven't finally converted h into 2.5r, and it would be easier to check if you put all the stages in)

but shouldn't this be 4g(h-r) ? :wink:
qswdefrg said:
v2= 4g(r-h)

tiny-tim said:

(just got up :zzz: …)

(b) and (c) look fine :smile:

(though you haven't finally converted h into 2.5r, and it would be easier to check if you put all the stages in)

but shouldn't this be 4g(h-r) ? :wink:

Yes the h and r should be switched; silly error my bad.

finding h in part a):

mgh = 0.5mv2 + mg2r
at the top min. speed is sqrt rg
mgh = 0.5mrg + mg2r
simplify
h = 2.5r

thanks so much for your help. i (finally!) got it.

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing energy consumption in order to save natural resources and decrease environmental pollution. This can be achieved through various methods such as using energy-efficient appliances, implementing renewable energy sources, and changing daily habits to minimize energy usage.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important because it helps to preserve our planet's resources for future generations. It also reduces the negative impact of energy production on the environment, such as air and water pollution. Additionally, conserving energy can save individuals and businesses money on their utility bills.

3. What are the consequences of not conserving energy?

The consequences of not conserving energy can include depletion of natural resources, increased pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, and higher energy costs. It can also contribute to global climate change and have negative impacts on human health and ecosystems.

4. How can I conserve energy in my daily life?

There are many simple ways to conserve energy in your daily life, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or carpooling, and using energy-efficient appliances. You can also make larger changes, such as switching to renewable energy sources or investing in energy-efficient home improvements.

5. What can businesses do to conserve energy?

Businesses can conserve energy by implementing energy-saving practices such as using energy-efficient lighting and equipment, optimizing their heating and cooling systems, and promoting energy conservation among employees. They can also invest in renewable energy sources and participate in energy-saving programs offered by utility companies.