Does compressor efficiency account for intercooler energy costs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an air compressor train, specifically looking at the use of an intercooler and its impact on energy consumption. The question arises about the cost effectiveness of using an intercooler, taking into consideration the cost of pumping and re-cooling water, as well as the cost of the intercooler itself. The efficiency of compressors is also mentioned, with the question of whether it includes the energy losses of intercoolers. A comparison is made between a one stage system without cooling and a two stage system with an intercooler and after cooler, showing that while 350 kJ/kg is still more advantageous than 500 kJ/kg, it is not as good as 250 kJ/kg
Sorade
Hi all,

I am looking at a air compressor train design which looks like this:
Intercooler.PNG

I know how to work the compressor work needed for a two stage compressor, and hence how much work I can save using 2 instead of 1 stage.

The question I have is: How much energy does it require to operate an intercooler (in red on figure) ?

How do the savings in work compare to that. I was asked the question today while giving a talk and couldn't answer it. I am not an engineer.

Thank you for your help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, assuming that water is used in the intercooler, you would have to evaluate the cost of pumping the water and re-cooling the water, and you would have to evaluate the cost of the intercooler itself, including its depreciation for tax purposes. So you are talking about an economic analysis. Presumably, since intercoolers are used in practice, their cost of operation plus purchase is warrented.

Likes Sorade
Does anybody know if the efficiency listed for compressors include the energy losses due to the inter-coolers.

For example say a one stage system with no cooling consumes 500 kJ/kg.

and that one with two stages with an inter-cooler and an after cooler consumes 250 kJ/kg for compression + 100 kJ/kg for operating the coolers.

Even though consuming 350 is still more advantageous than 500 kJ/kg, it is not at good as 250 kJ/kg.

1. What is the purpose of intercooling in energy systems?

The purpose of intercooling is to reduce the temperature of compressed air or gas before it enters the next stage of a system. This helps to improve the overall efficiency and performance of the system by reducing the energy required for compression and preventing damage to equipment due to high temperatures.

2. How does intercooling affect the energy cost of a system?

Intercooling can significantly reduce the energy cost of a system by reducing the work required for compression. This is because cooler air or gas is denser and requires less energy to be compressed to a given pressure. Additionally, intercooling can also prevent energy losses due to heat transfer during the compression process.

3. What factors influence the energy cost of intercooling?

The energy cost of intercooling is primarily influenced by the type and size of the intercooler, the temperature and pressure of the compressed air or gas, and the number of intercooling stages required. Other factors such as ambient temperature, humidity, and the specific application of the system can also impact the energy cost of intercooling.

4. Are there any disadvantages to intercooling in terms of energy cost?

While intercooling can reduce the energy cost of a system, it does require additional equipment and energy for operation. This can result in higher initial and maintenance costs. Additionally, the efficiency gains from intercooling may not always be significant enough to justify the added expense in certain applications.

5. Can intercooling be used in all energy systems?

Intercooling is commonly used in energy systems that involve compression of air or gas, such as in gas turbines and refrigeration systems. However, its effectiveness and applicability may vary depending on the specific system and its operating conditions. Some systems may not require intercooling, while for others it may be essential for efficient operation.