Does Expanding Space Affect Light Frequency?

• Thread starter Energyloop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, your thoughts on the frequency of light in expanding space and the limitations of gathering information from light are valid and thought-provoking, and your idea about energy from other dimensions is an interesting concept that is still being studied. Keep up the curiosity and exploration!
Energyloop
I thought I would put this post up for some general feedback it's a couple of thoughts I had, one day.

I have started to read Richard Feynman's book 'QED' I have a current fascination at the moment with light and this appeared to be a good book to gather a clearer understanding about how it works, I’m only on page 45 and these observations are unrelated to what I have read already.

When I think about light a couple of thoughts spring to mind, one is how does the frequency of light change in expanding space, as expansion occurs does the expansion of space cause light to stretch into lower frequencies? This could be quite simple question to answer, although when we talk about space we have to talk about time, and light is a constant, so I think it could become a little complicated, I have not had time to sit down and think about this yet.

The other thought is regarding the way we get information from light, the only way, and if I’m wrong please say, is to view its source or view reflected light, if light is viewed side on through a vacuum, no information can be obtained, so if this is true, could it be possible that there are sources of energy (electromagnetic, or not maybe), which are propagated around the universe, but we are unable to see its source, as they might be emanating from other dimensions for example.

Physics news on Phys.org

I find your thoughts on light and its properties very interesting. Light is a fundamental part of our universe and understanding its behavior is crucial in many areas of science. I would be happy to provide some feedback on your thoughts.

Firstly, your question about the frequency of light changing in expanding space is a valid one. It is known that the expansion of space does affect the wavelength of light, causing it to stretch into lower frequencies. This is known as cosmological redshift and is a result of the expansion of the universe. This phenomenon is important in understanding the evolution of the universe and is used in cosmology to measure the distances of objects in space.

Regarding your second thought about obtaining information from light, you are correct that we can only gather information from viewing its source or from reflected light. However, there are other ways to gather information from light, such as using spectroscopy to analyze the different wavelengths of light emitted by an object. In addition, there are also other forms of energy, such as gravitational waves, that can provide information about objects in space.

As for your idea about energy being propagated from other dimensions, this is a topic that is still being explored and studied in theoretical physics. While there is currently no concrete evidence for the existence of other dimensions, some theories suggest that there may be hidden dimensions that we are not able to perceive. Further research and experiments are needed to fully understand this concept.

Overall, your thoughts show a curiosity and interest in the properties of light, which is important in the scientific community. I would encourage you to continue reading and exploring this topic, as there is still much to discover and understand about light and its role in the universe.

Related to Does Expanding Space Affect Light Frequency?

1. How is energy from somewhere else different from traditional energy sources?

Energy from somewhere else refers to energy that is obtained from sources other than traditional fossil fuels or nuclear power. These alternative sources often have a lower impact on the environment and can be replenished naturally, making them more sustainable in the long term.

2. What are some examples of "somewhere else" energy sources?

Some examples of alternative energy sources include solar power, wind power, hydropower, geothermal energy, and biomass energy. These sources harness energy from the sun, wind, water, heat from the earth, and organic matter, respectively.

3. Is energy from somewhere else more expensive than traditional sources?

The cost of energy from somewhere else varies depending on the specific source and the location. While some alternative sources may have higher upfront costs for installation, they often have lower operational costs and can provide long-term cost savings. Additionally, as technology advances and demand increases, the cost of these energy sources is expected to decrease.

4. How does energy from somewhere else impact the environment?

Compared to traditional energy sources, energy from somewhere else has a much lower impact on the environment. Alternative sources do not emit greenhouse gases or pollutants, reducing air and water pollution and mitigating the effects of climate change. These sources also have a smaller land footprint and do not require destructive extraction methods, preserving natural habitats.

5. What is the future of energy from somewhere else?

The use of alternative energy sources is expected to continue to grow in the future as countries work towards reducing their carbon footprint and transitioning to more sustainable energy options. Advancements in technology and government support for renewable energy also contribute to the growth of energy from somewhere else. It is projected that these sources will eventually overtake traditional sources as the primary source of energy globally.