How Does Friction Affect Spring Compression on an Inclined Plane?

In summary: V1^2and, since it is stopping, V2=0:0 = 2*a*x + V1^2x = -(V1^2)/(2*a)In summary, for the first problem, we are given a 2kg block released 4m from a massless spring with a force constant of 100 N/m, fixed along a frictionless plane inclined at 30 degrees. We are asked to find the maximum compression of the spring. For the second problem, a 50,000 kg barge is pulled along a canal at a constant speed of 3 km/h by a heavy tractor. The townrope makes an angle of 18 degrees with the velocity vector of the b
nns91

Homework Statement

A 2kg block is released 4m from a massless spring with a force constant k=100 N/m that is fixed along a frictionless plane inclined at 30 degree.

(a). Find the maximum compression of the spring.
(b) If the plane is rough rather than frictionless, and the coefficient of plane kinetic friction between the plane and the block is 0.2, find the maximum compression.
(c) For the rough plane, how far up the inline will the block travel after leaving the spring ?

2. A 50 000 kg barge is pulled along a canal at a constant speed of 3km/h by a heavy tractor. The townrope makes an angle of 18 degree with the velocity vector or the barge. The tension in the townrope is 1200 N. If the townrope breaks, how far will the barge move before coming to rest ? Assume that the drag force between the barge and water is independent of velocity.

Homework Equations

E= Emech + Etherm

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I solved it right

b. The friction kinda confuses me. I tried to used conservation of energy.

Initial: E= mgh

Final: E= mg(h-(4+x)sin30) + (1/2)kx^2 + 0.2*mgcos30*(4+x)

then I set them equal to each other and solve for x. However, I got a wrong answer. Where did I do wrong ?2. I have no clue since I cannot picture the problem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Conceptually I think you understand the issues involved. The friction diminishes the potential energy available to go into kinetic and then vice versa.

One thing I notice is that your equation for friction is not taking into account the x to detent and then return to equilibrium which is really 2x not x.

For instance:
E= mg(h-(4+x)sin30) + (1/2)kx^2 + 0.2*mgcos30*(4+x)

For the equation at the moment of maximum detent this would be
mg(4+x)sin30 = (1/2)kx2 + 0.2mgCos30*(4+x)

Then your return to max height up the slope would be

mg(h+x)sin30 = 1/2kx2 - .2mgCos30*(h+x)

2) As regards your barge, note that it is traveling at constant velocity at the moment of snapping. The projection of the 1200N force at the 18° angle that the rope makes with the barge is the forward motive force that, when removed, becomes a decelerating force.

Since F = m*a and you now know a, I'm sure you know how to solve the kinematics associated with coming to a stop.

Thanks.

For the 2nd problem:

I found a= -Tension*cos18/m = -0.228 m/s^2

Then I use vf^2= vi^3+2ax and solve for x. Is that true ??

nns91 said:
Thanks.

For the 2nd problem:

I found a= -Tension*cos18/m = -0.228 m/s^2

Then I use vf^2= vi^3+2ax and solve for x. Is that true ??

That should do it.

I see your typo, so to make it clear:

V2 = 2*a*x

Related to How Does Friction Affect Spring Compression on an Inclined Plane?

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in various forms, such as light, heat, sound, and motion. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is necessary for all living organisms to function.

2. What are the different types of energy?

There are many different types of energy, but some of the most common include kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), electrical energy, chemical energy, and nuclear energy.

3. What is the relationship between energy and the environment?

The production and consumption of energy have a significant impact on the environment. Burning fossil fuels, for example, releases carbon dioxide and other pollutants into the atmosphere, contributing to climate change. Renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, have a much smaller environmental impact.

4. How do we generate energy?

There are several ways to generate energy, including burning fossil fuels, harnessing renewable energy sources, and nuclear reactions. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of energy generation depends on various factors, such as cost, availability, and environmental impact.

5. What are some solutions to the energy general problem?

Some solutions to the energy general problem include increasing energy efficiency, developing and implementing renewable energy sources, and reducing our reliance on fossil fuels. Other potential solutions include carbon capture and storage, nuclear fusion, and improving energy storage technologies.