Energy in a Circuit: Find Power & Total Delivered Energy

In summary, the voltage and current at the terminals of the circuit element are zero for t<0 and become positive for t>0. The power at t=1 ms is 3.1 W and the energy delivered to the circuit element between 0 and 1 ms is a positive value. It is not possible for the product of voltage and current to be negative, so it is likely that there was an error in calculating the values.
mba444

Homework Statement

2. The voltage and current at the terminals of the circuit element in Fig. 1 are zero for t<0. For t>0 they are

V= e^(-500*t)-e^(-1500*t) V
i= 30-40e^(-500*t)+10e^(-1500*t) mA

a) Find the power at t = 1 ms.
b) How much energy is delivered to the circuit element between 0 and 1 ms?
c) Find the total energy delivered to the element.

Figure 1. An ideal basic circuit element

Homework Equations

P=V*i
W=integral (P dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved part a by simple substituting the time in both V and i equations then i multipled them giving me a result of 3.1 W, in the second part i used the integral where i substitued the answer i got in the previous part and set the integral to be from 0 to 1 ms but it turns to be wrong !

need your help tanx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
mba444 said:

Homework Statement

2. The voltage and current at the terminals of the circuit element in Fig. 1 are zero for t<0. For t>0 they are

V= e^(-500*t)-e^(-1500*t) V
i= 30-40e^(-500*t)+10e^(-1500*t) mA

a) Find the power at t = 1 ms.
b) How much energy is delivered to the circuit element between 0 and 1 ms?
c) Find the total energy delivered to the element.

Figure 1. An ideal basic circuit element

Homework Equations

P=V*i
W=integral (P dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved part a by simple substituting the time in both V and i equations then i multipled them giving me a result of 3.1 W, in the second part i used the integral where i substitued the answer i got in the previous part and set the integral to be from 0 to 1 ms but it turns to be wrong !

need your help tanx in advance

Voltage and current are variable and so is their product, the power. You must perform the multiplication and integrate it.

i did so as you said but i got a negative wrong answer

can you explain more in depth

mba444 said:

If you show your work, somebody can help figure out where things went wrong.

mba444 said:

Both voltage and current start with the value 0 at t=0 and them they become positive. The current rises monotonically to 40 and after some time (well after 1 ms) the voltage starts to decay to zero, but still positive.
It is not possible that their product can be negative.

1. What is the definition of power in a circuit?

Power in a circuit is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or consumed. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I).

2. How do you find the power in a circuit?

To find the power in a circuit, you can use the formula P = V x I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps. Alternatively, you can use a power meter to directly measure the power in a circuit.

3. What is the difference between power and energy in a circuit?

Power and energy are closely related but have different meanings in a circuit. Power is the rate at which energy is consumed or transferred, while energy is the amount of work that can be done by a system. In a circuit, power is measured in watts and energy is measured in joules.

4. How do you calculate the total delivered energy in a circuit?

To calculate the total delivered energy in a circuit, you can use the formula E = P x t, where E is energy in joules, P is power in watts, and t is time in seconds. This formula takes into account the amount of power being consumed and the time interval during which it is being consumed.

5. What factors affect the power and energy in a circuit?

The power and energy in a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the voltage and current levels, the resistance of the circuit components, and the duration of the circuit operation. Changes in any of these factors can impact the power and energy consumption in a circuit.