Energy in a rotating square loop

In summary: Maybe there's a typo in the given answer?In summary, the problem involved a square circuit with a resistance of 20Ω and side length of 0.2m spinning at a rate of 100 times per second around a horizontal axis, with a perpendicular magnetic field of 1T. The task was to calculate the magnetic flux, inducted current, and dissipated energy by Joule heating over a period of 2 minutes. The first two parts were solved using known equations, but there was difficulty in evaluating the energy. After some calculations, the final answer obtained was 1.9 kJ, which is half of the expected answer of 3.8 kJ. However, there may be a possibility of
Granger

Homework Statement

A square circuit of resistance R=20Ω and side ℓ = 0,2 m spins 100 times per second around an horizontal axis that splits it in two. There is an uniform magnetic field B=1T perpendicular to the position ocupied by the circuit at t=0s.
Calculate (1) the magnetic flux, (2) the inducted current and (3) the dissipated energy by Joule heating in 2 minutes

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

So I had no trouble in the first 2 points, reaching:

$$\Phi_B=Bl^2 \cos(200 \pi t)$$
$$I=\frac{Bl^2 200 \pi \cos(200 \pi t)}{R}$$

Now I had trouble evaluating the energy.
I know that
$$P=RI^2$$

Taking that expression and integrating it between 0 and 120 seconds, and substituting values, I reach 1,9 kJ, which exactly half of what I was supposed to get (3.8 kJ). What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
So what are your thoughts on the last part?

haruspex said:
So what are your thoughts on the last part?

Well than again since they only asked for the energy dissipated by Joule heating, we don't have to count with other forces (e.g.. rotating the circuit).
I don't understand why I'm getting half of what I was supposed to though...

Granger said:
I don't understand why I'm getting half of what I was supposed to though...
For the last part? I do not see any attempt on that.
I see your answers to the first two parts, as functions of t, and a generic formula for P. What were your steps from there to answer the question?

Substituting the values on I expression we obtain ##I=1.26 \sin(200 \pi t)##.
Substituting in P we get to ## P=31.752 \sin^2(200 \pi t)##.
Then ##\int_{0}^{120} 31.752 \sin^2(200 \pi t) dt = 1.9 kJ##
So that's it...

Granger said:
Substituting the values on I expression we obtain ##I=1.26 \sin(200 \pi t)##.
Substituting in P we get to ## P=31.752 \sin^2(200 \pi t)##.
Then ##\int_{0}^{120} 31.752 \sin^2(200 \pi t) dt = 1.9 kJ##
So that's it...
That all looks right to me.

What is energy in a rotating square loop?

Energy in a rotating square loop refers to the amount of energy required to rotate a square-shaped loop of wire around an axis. This energy is typically generated through the use of a magnetic field.

How is energy transferred in a rotating square loop?

Energy is transferred in a rotating square loop through the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric charges in the wire. As the loop rotates, the magnetic field exerts a force on the charges, causing them to move and generate an electric current.

What factors affect the energy in a rotating square loop?

The energy in a rotating square loop is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the size and shape of the loop, and the resistance of the wire.

How is energy conserved in a rotating square loop?

The total energy in a rotating square loop remains constant, as energy cannot be created or destroyed. The energy is converted between electrical and kinetic forms as the loop rotates, but the total amount remains the same.

What are some real-world applications of energy in a rotating square loop?

Energy in a rotating square loop has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in various types of machinery, including turbines, fans, and pumps.