What is the Kinetic Energy of a Rotating Square Mass-Spring System?

In summary, the problem involves four masses connected by light springs rotating in uniform circular motion. The kinetic energy of the system can be found by combining Newton's 2nd law with Hooke's law and using the centripetal force to determine the radial distance of the masses.
proximaankit

Homework Statement

Four masses M in deep space are connected by four identical light springs with spring constant k and equilibrium length L. The four mass, four spring assembly is square and lies in a plane; all four masses are rotating with ω =√(k/M), in uniform circular motion about an axis perpendicular to the plane and equidistant from all four masses. What is the kinetic energy of this system?

Homework Equations

mac2r
F=kx
KE=1/2*ITotalω2

The Attempt at a Solution

ITotal=4MR2 where R is the distance to mass when the masses are rotating. R should be large that L because the springs will stretch when the system is in motion.
R=(√2)/2(l+Δl)
ITotal=2*M*(l+Δl)2
KE=2*(l+Δl)2*k
I feel like this is incomplete especially with respect to Δl. Is there any other way to put it. I was thinking of maybe finding what Δl maybe using Hooke's Law but I don't know how to go about that. I was thinking of equating it to the centripetal force. Please let me know and thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
proximaankit said:
I was thinking of maybe finding what Δl maybe using Hooke's Law but I don't know how to go about that. I was thinking of equating it to the centripetal force.
You're on the right track.

Combine Newton's 2nd law with Hooke's law. Draw a diagram of the forces acting on each mass.

proximaankit said:

Homework Statement

Four masses M in deep space are connected by four identical light springs with spring constant k and equilibrium length L. The four mass, four spring assembly is square and lies in a plane; all four masses are rotating with ω =√(k/M), in uniform circular motion about an axis perpendicular to the plane and equidistant from all four masses. What is the kinetic energy of this system?

Homework Equations

mac2r
F=kx
KE=1/2*ITotalω2

The Attempt at a Solution

ITotal=4MR2 where R is the distance to mass when the masses are rotating. R should be large that L because the springs will stretch when the system is in motion.
R=(√2)/2(l+Δl)
ITotal=2*M*(l+Δl)2
KE=2*(l+Δl)2*k
I feel like this is incomplete especially with respect to Δl. Is there any other way to put it. I was thinking of maybe finding what Δl maybe using Hooke's Law but I don't know how to go about that. I was thinking of equating it to the centripetal force. Please let me know and thank you in advance

Yes, use the centripetal force. The springs meet at each corner of the square and their tensions add vector-wise to make up the centripetal force. You can find an expression for the radial distance of the masses that way.

Related to What is the Kinetic Energy of a Rotating Square Mass-Spring System?

What is the "Spring Rotational Problem"?

The "Spring Rotational Problem" is a classical mechanics problem in which a spring is attached to a rotating disc. The goal is to determine the equation of motion for the spring and its corresponding frequency.

What are the key assumptions made in the "Spring Rotational Problem"?

The key assumptions in the "Spring Rotational Problem" are that the spring is ideal (no mass, no damping, and no resistance), the disc is rigid, and the spring is attached to the edge of the disc.

How is the "Spring Rotational Problem" solved?

The "Spring Rotational Problem" is typically solved using Newton's Second Law and the equations for rotational motion. The equation of motion for the spring can be derived by considering the forces acting on the spring and the disc.

What are the applications of the "Spring Rotational Problem"?

The "Spring Rotational Problem" has many real-world applications, such as in mechanical systems with rotating components, such as engines, turbines, and motors. It is also used in the study of oscillations and vibrations in mechanical systems.

How does the "Spring Rotational Problem" relate to other physics concepts?

The "Spring Rotational Problem" is closely related to other physics concepts, such as simple harmonic motion, rotational dynamics, and energy conservation. It also has connections to other branches of physics, such as electromechanics and fluid mechanics.