What is the Kinetic Energy of a Rotating Square Mass-Spring System?

  • Thread starter Thread starter proximaankit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotational Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
proximaankit
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Four masses M in deep space are connected by four identical light springs with spring constant k and equilibrium length L. The four mass, four spring assembly is square and lies in a plane; all four masses are rotating with ω =√(k/M), in uniform circular motion about an axis perpendicular to the plane and equidistant from all four masses. What is the kinetic energy of this system?

Homework Equations


mac=ω2r
F=kx
KE=1/2*ITotalω2

The Attempt at a Solution


ITotal=4MR2 where R is the distance to mass when the masses are rotating. R should be large that L because the springs will stretch when the system is in motion.
R=(√2)/2(l+Δl)
ITotal=2*M*(l+Δl)2
KE=2*(l+Δl)2*k
I feel like this is incomplete especially with respect to Δl. Is there any other way to put it. I was thinking of maybe finding what Δl maybe using Hooke's Law but I don't know how to go about that. I was thinking of equating it to the centripetal force. Please let me know and thank you in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
proximaankit said:
I was thinking of maybe finding what Δl maybe using Hooke's Law but I don't know how to go about that. I was thinking of equating it to the centripetal force.
You're on the right track.

Combine Newton's 2nd law with Hooke's law. Draw a diagram of the forces acting on each mass.
 
proximaankit said:

Homework Statement


Four masses M in deep space are connected by four identical light springs with spring constant k and equilibrium length L. The four mass, four spring assembly is square and lies in a plane; all four masses are rotating with ω =√(k/M), in uniform circular motion about an axis perpendicular to the plane and equidistant from all four masses. What is the kinetic energy of this system?

Homework Equations


mac=ω2r
F=kx
KE=1/2*ITotalω2

The Attempt at a Solution


ITotal=4MR2 where R is the distance to mass when the masses are rotating. R should be large that L because the springs will stretch when the system is in motion.
R=(√2)/2(l+Δl)
ITotal=2*M*(l+Δl)2
KE=2*(l+Δl)2*k
I feel like this is incomplete especially with respect to Δl. Is there any other way to put it. I was thinking of maybe finding what Δl maybe using Hooke's Law but I don't know how to go about that. I was thinking of equating it to the centripetal force. Please let me know and thank you in advance

Yes, use the centripetal force. The springs meet at each corner of the square and their tensions add vector-wise to make up the centripetal force. You can find an expression for the radial distance of the masses that way.