Calculating Energy Loss in a Hockey Puck Collision

In summary, we are given a problem involving the collision of two identical hockey pucks on a frictionless ice rink. The first puck has a mass of 0.2 kg and initial velocity V0 = 3.8 m/s while the second puck is initially stationary. After the collision, the first puck has a velocity V1 = 1 m/s in the same direction as before. We are asked to find the fraction of energy lost in the collision. To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum equation M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1' + M2V2' to find the velocity of the second puck after the impact. Then, we can compare the total energy
CaptFormal

Homework Statement

One hockey puck of mass 0.2 kg strikes an identical stationary puck on a frictionless ice rink. If the first puck had a velocity V0 = 3.8 m/s before the collision and V1 = 1 m/s after in the same direction, what fraction of the energy was lost?

Homework Equations

M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1' + M2V2'

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I think I am supposed to use the above equation but I am not completely sure. Also, I am a bit confused as to the question "what fraction of energy was lost". Not sure what to do as my efforts in trying to use the above equation has failed. Any assistance or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptFormal said:
One hockey puck of mass 0.2 kg strikes an identical stationary puck on a frictionless ice rink. If the first puck had a velocity V0 = 3.8 m/s before the collision and V1 = 1 m/s after in the same direction, what fraction of the energy was lost?

What kind of energy are we talking about here?

I don't know. This homework revolves around linear momentum but that is about all the information that I have. In the past we did go over potential and kinetic energy. Not sure if that helps or not.

Does the potential energy of the first pluck vary?

Donaldos said:
Does the potential energy of the first pluck vary?

I'm afraid that's completely unrelated, Donaldos.

CaptFormal, you have half of your answer in your hands. Use the conservation of momentum to find the velocity of the second puck after the impact.

After that, look at the total energy before the collision, and the total energy after the collision.

Hint:
There is only kinetic energy before the collision, but some of the energy is lost to heat during the collision.

RoyalCat said:
I'm afraid that's completely unrelated, Donaldos.SPOILER]

And I'm afraid it's directly related to CaptFormal's previous reply...

1. How is energy loss calculated in a hockey puck collision?

The energy loss in a hockey puck collision can be calculated using the conservation of energy principle. This means that the initial kinetic energy of the puck before the collision equals the sum of its final kinetic energy and any energy lost during the collision.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy lost in a hockey puck collision?

The amount of energy lost in a hockey puck collision can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the puck, the materials of the puck and the surface it collides with, and any external forces acting on the puck during the collision.

3. How does the coefficient of restitution impact energy loss in a hockey puck collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of a collision, can impact the amount of energy lost in a hockey puck collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means a more elastic collision, resulting in less energy loss.

4. Can energy be gained in a hockey puck collision?

Technically, energy cannot be gained in a hockey puck collision. However, some external forces, such as heat or friction, may cause a slight increase in the energy of the puck during the collision.

5. How can energy loss in a hockey puck collision be minimized?

To minimize energy loss in a hockey puck collision, factors such as the coefficient of restitution, surface materials, and external forces should be carefully considered. Additionally, using materials with high elasticity and reducing friction can help to decrease energy loss in collisions.