1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy-momentum conservation equation

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

We have the metric [tex]ds^2=-e^{2\Phi}dt^2+e^{2\Lambda}dr^2+r^2d\Omega^2[/tex], and the energy momentum tensor takes the form [tex]t^{ab}=(\rho+p)u^au^b+pg^{ab}[/tex] where the 4-velocity is [tex]u=e^{-\Phi}\partial_t[/tex], and [itex]\Phi[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] are functions of r only.

I'm asked to show that the ebergy-momentum conservation equation [tex]\nabla_aT^{ab}=0[/tex] is equivalent to [tex](\rho+p)\frac{d\Phi}{dr}=-\frac{dp}{dr}[/tex].

Now, I'm after some advice on how to calculate this. I know all the connection coefficients (they were given in the question). I tried setting up the four equations, one for each value of b, and then attempting to solve these, but each of these equations has 12 terms in, so I figured there must be an easier way to do this!

Does anyone know whether there is another way, or if there are any simplifications I can make; or do I need to plough through the 4 equations?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ok, I've got the answer. Just decided to compute the r equation, and it gave the result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?