Energy needed for pluto to escape earth surface

In summary, the amount of energy required to escape from the surface of the following bodies is greater than that required to escape from the surface of Earth.
jperk980
Calculate the amount of energy required to escape from the surface of the following bodies, relative to that required to escape from the surface of Earth.(a) Pluto

I keep on getting the same answer to be .011092137 but according to the website i am working on that is not correct. I used the mass of Earth to be 5.98e24, mass of Pluto is .002*5.98e24 and the radius's of Earth is 6.378e6 and Pluto is 1.15e6. I understand that (Mp*Re)/(Me*Rp) should be the correct formula.

If you get a different answer please help me achieve the answer you got because i have been trying many different solutions and still have not been able to figure out the question. I have a 5% grace period which all answers within 5% are correct.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula looks correct.

jperk980 said:
I understand that (Mp*Re)/(Me*Rp) should be the correct formula.
This is the correct formula for what? Ratio of velocities? I don't think so.

Where did you get this expression, and can you derive it? You should be able to, if you want to understand the problem completely. Try doing that, and I think you'll see what you need to do to correct the expression that you gave above. If you're not sure how to do that, just ask.

Doc Al said:
Your formula looks correct.
oops. We crossed responses.

Are you sure he's correct? For ratio of escape velocities? KE is proportional to v^2 and PE is proportional to M/R, right? Unless I missed a radical sign somewhere, that's not what I get ... :confused:

The question asked for energy, not velocity:
jperk980 said:
Calculate the amount of energy required...

In original post the question is about energy, not velocity
jperk980 said:
Calculate the amount of energy required to escape from the surface of the following bodies, relative to that required to escape from the surface of Earth.(a) Pluto

aughh! SORRY! I mis-read it, as you've noticed ... and I keep crossing messages.

Never mind me!

(except that I now agree with jperk's original answer)

1. How much energy is needed for Pluto to escape Earth's surface?

The exact amount of energy needed for Pluto to escape Earth's surface depends on a variety of factors, including the distance between the two planets, the mass of Pluto, and the gravitational pull of both Earth and Pluto. However, it is estimated that it would take about 17.6 km/s of energy for Pluto to escape Earth's surface.

2. Can Pluto ever escape Earth's surface on its own?

No, Pluto does not have enough energy on its own to escape Earth's surface. It would need an external force or energy to overcome Earth's gravitational pull.

3. Is it possible for Pluto to escape Earth's surface?

Yes, it is possible for Pluto to escape Earth's surface with enough energy. However, this would require a significant amount of energy and is not likely to occur naturally.

4. Why is so much energy needed for Pluto to escape Earth's surface?

The gravitational pull of Earth is very strong, which means it takes a lot of energy to overcome it. Additionally, Pluto is much smaller in mass compared to Earth, making it easier for Earth's gravity to keep it in orbit.

5. How does the energy needed for Pluto to escape Earth's surface compare to other planets?

The amount of energy needed for Pluto to escape Earth's surface is relatively low compared to other planets in our solar system. For example, it would take about 62 km/s of energy for Mercury to escape Earth's surface and about 11.2 km/s for Mars.