1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy needed for pluto to escape earth surface

1. Dec 30, 2007 #1
    Calculate the amount of energy required to escape from the surface of the following bodies, relative to that required to escape from the surface of Earth.(a) Pluto

I keep on getting the same answer to be .011092137 but according to the website i am working on that is not correct. I used the mass of earth to be 5.98e24, mass of Pluto is .002*5.98e24 and the radius's of earth is 6.378e6 and Pluto is 1.15e6. I understand that (Mp*Re)/(Me*Rp) should be the correct formula.

If you get a different answer please help me achieve the answer you got because i have been trying many different solutions and still have not been able to figure out the question. I have a 5% grace period which all answers within 5% are correct.
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Your formula looks correct.

4. Dec 30, 2007 #3
    This is the correct formula for what? Ratio of velocities? I don't think so.

Where did you get this expression, and can you derive it? You should be able to, if you want to understand the problem completely. Try doing that, and I think you'll see what you need to do to correct the expression that you gave above. If you're not sure how to do that, just ask.

5. Dec 30, 2007 #4
    oops. We crossed responses.

Are you sure he's correct? For ratio of escape velocities? KE is proportional to v^2 and PE is proportional to M/R, right? Unless I missed a radical sign somewhere, that's not what I get ... :confused:

6. Dec 30, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The question asked for energy, not velocity:

7. Dec 30, 2007 #6
    In original post the question is about energy, not velocity

8. Dec 30, 2007 #7
    aughh! SORRY!!! I mis-read it, as you've noticed ... and I keep crossing messages.

Never mind me!

(except that I now agree with jperk's original answer)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?