What is the maximum speed of the bob in a simple pendulum?

In summary, the conversation was about a simple pendulum with a length of 75 cm and a bob of mass 0.6 kg. The question was to find the maximum speed of the bob when the string is at 30 degrees to the vertical and the bob has a speed of 2 m/s. The conversation involved considering the kinetic and potential energy at different states of the pendulum and using the conservation of energy to find the final speed. The mistake in the attempt at a solution was a wrong angle in the sketch. The correct answer was given as 2.44 m/s.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum has a length of 75 cm and a bob of mass 0.6 kg. When the string is at 30 degrees to the vertical, the bob has a speed of 2 m/s. What is the maximum speed of the bob?

The Attempt at a Solution

The main idea I had was that the velocity of the bob should be highest where there's the most kinetic energy and the least potential energy. The lowest point on the pendulum will be when it's stretched completely down and where it has the least potential energy. I marked the initial position as state 1 and the lowest point as state 2.

http://i.imgur.com/pmNOYbf.png

The tension force does no work on the bob since it always acts perpendicular to the displacement. This only leaves gravity doing work on the bob.

I chose state 2 to be y = 0. The vertical component of the pendulum's length in state one is 0.75sin30 = 0.375. By luck, the distance between the bob and pivot point is the same as the distance from the bob to y = 0.

In state 1,

[tex] K_1 = 0.5mv^2 = 0.5(0.6kg)(2m/s)^2 = 1.2J [/tex]

[tex] U_1 = mgh = (0.6kg)(9.8 m/s^2)(0.375m) = 2.205 J [/tex]

In state 2, the potential energy is zero by my choice of point of reference.

By the conservation of energy, the kinetic energy at this point must be equal to the sum of the potential and kinetic energy in state one.

[tex] K_2 = (1.2 + 2.205)J = 3.405 J [/tex]

By the definition of kinetic energy,

[tex] 3.405 J = 0.5(0.6kg)v^2 [/tex]
[tex] v = 3.36 m/s [/tex]

Don't see how I'm going wrong here, but my answer isn't matching up. The answer given in my sheet is 2.44 m/s.

Where am I going wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your sketch is wrong. The angle is to be taken from the vertical.

1. What is the energy problem with pendulum?

The energy problem with pendulum refers to the fact that a simple pendulum does not conserve energy due to the presence of friction and air resistance. This causes the pendulum to gradually lose energy and swing with a smaller amplitude over time.

2. How does the energy problem affect the motion of a pendulum?

The energy problem causes the pendulum to gradually slow down and eventually come to a stop. This is because the energy that is lost due to friction and air resistance is not being replenished, leading to a decrease in the pendulum's amplitude and velocity.

3. Can the energy problem be solved?

While the energy problem cannot be completely solved, it can be minimized by reducing the effects of friction and air resistance. This can be achieved by using a more streamlined pendulum bob and minimizing the contact points between the pendulum and its supporting structure.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect the energy problem?

The length of the pendulum does not have a direct effect on the energy problem. However, a longer pendulum will have a longer period of oscillation, which means it will take longer for the pendulum to lose a significant amount of energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of the energy problem with pendulum?

The energy problem with pendulum has been studied and applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It has also been used to explain the behavior of other systems that experience energy loss, such as in electrical circuits and mechanical systems.