Calculating Energy and Height in a Vertical Spring System

• Thread starter jiboom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the height of a particle above a fixed point when two identical strings of length 1 metre with a modulus of elasticity are attached to it. The particle is then pulled down and released from rest, and the question is posed about the maximum height it will reach above the fixed point. The first part of the problem is solved, with the answer being 1.5 metres. For the second part, the bottom string is assumed to be slack and the top string is stretched to 4 metres from its original length of 1 metre. However, it is pointed out that for the calculated maximum height of 2.83 metres, the top string will still be extended by 0.17 metres,
jiboom
2 identical strings of length 1 metres and modulus of elasticity are each fastened to a particle of mass .5 kg. their othe ends are fixed to 2 points 4 metres apart in a vertical line. Find the height of the particle above the lower fixed point A in the equilibrium position. the particle is now pulled down to A and released from rest. find the greatest height above A to which the particle rises.

first part i have done, answer is 1.5 so (top string is of stretched length 2.5)

for second part i have said

at bottom

bottom string is slack so epe=0
top string is stretched to 4m from 1 m so
epe=modulus(extension)^2/(natural length)=4.9(3^2)/2
released from rest so KE=0

so initially total energy is 4.9(9/2)

at greatest height above A. H,say

PE=.5gH=4.9H using g=9.8
KE=0
EPE=modulus(extension)^2/(natural length)=4.9(h-1)^2/2

so energy at top is 4.9H+[4.9(H-1)^2]/2

by conservation

4.9H+[4.9(H-1)^2]/2=4.9(9/2)

so H^2=8 H=2.83

this is correct but i am troubled by the lines in bold.

i didnt know the height so assumed it would be high enough for the top string to be slack so have no EPE. this is how i came to that line.

BUT for this value of H, 2.83, the top string will still be extended,by .17m, so surely it contributes some EPE? is ths so? If it does how do i adjust my solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
is anyone able to help me with this?
i am struggling to see how energy works and really need help.

1. What are some examples of renewable energy sources?

Some examples of renewable energy sources include solar energy, wind energy, hydropower, geothermal energy, and bioenergy. These sources can be replenished naturally and are considered to be more sustainable than fossil fuels.

2. How do energy problems affect the environment?

Energy problems, such as the use of fossil fuels, can have negative impacts on the environment. These include air and water pollution, greenhouse gas emissions, and the destruction of natural habitats. It is important to shift towards cleaner and more sustainable energy sources to mitigate these effects.

3. What role do governments play in addressing energy problems?

Governments play a crucial role in addressing energy problems through policies and regulations. They can incentivize the use of renewable energy sources, set emission reduction targets, and invest in research and development of clean energy technologies. Governments also have the power to enforce regulations and hold companies accountable for their energy consumption and emissions.

4. How can individuals contribute to solving energy problems?

Individuals can contribute to solving energy problems by making small changes in their daily lives, such as using energy-efficient appliances and reducing their energy consumption. They can also support renewable energy initiatives and advocate for government policies that promote clean energy. Educating oneself and others about the importance of sustainable energy is also crucial.

5. What is the role of technology in addressing energy problems?

Technology plays a significant role in addressing energy problems. It allows for the development of renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and wind turbines, and helps improve energy efficiency. Advancements in technology also allow for the storage and transportation of energy, making it more accessible and reliable. Continued research and innovation in clean energy technology are essential in solving energy problems.