Energy quantization and energy levels

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of continuous energy levels in quantum mechanics. While energy levels are technically discrete, the difference between them in macroscopic systems is so small that it appears continuous. Additionally, there are some cases, such as in the free particle, where energy is truly continuous.
joris_pixie
Hello !

I had my fair share of quantum mechanics already :) But today I was wondering something, kind of odd I thought of this so late ...

But do continuous energy levels really excist or is it just an approximation.

I am asking this cause by my understanding energy is quantized, so all systems should be discrete ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Energy levels are discrete. However, the difference between the energy levels in macroscopic systems is extremely small, and that, coupled with the immensely large range of energy levels results in an essentially continuous spectrum.

Energy doesn’t have to be quantized. For example, energy of the free particle (in quantum mechanics) is continuous.

1. What is energy quantization and why is it important?

Energy quantization refers to the concept that energy can only exist in discrete, specific amounts or levels. This means that energy cannot take on any value between these levels, but must jump from one level to another. It is important because it helps explain certain phenomena in the physical world, such as the behavior of electrons in atoms and the emission of light by atoms.

2. How are energy levels determined and measured?

Energy levels are determined by the properties of a system, such as the mass and charge of particles, and the forces acting on them. They can be measured using various techniques, including spectroscopy, which involves studying the interaction of matter with electromagnetic radiation.

3. What is the relationship between energy levels and quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. Energy quantization is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, and the energy levels of a system are directly related to the quantum mechanical properties of that system.

4. Can energy levels be changed or manipulated?

Yes, energy levels can be changed or manipulated in various ways. For example, in atoms, energy levels can be altered by applying an external electric or magnetic field. In molecules, energy levels can be changed through chemical reactions or by changing the temperature of the system.

5. How does energy quantization impact technology and everyday life?

Energy quantization has a profound impact on technology and everyday life. It allows for the development of technologies such as lasers, LEDs, and transistors, which are essential in modern electronics. It also explains the colors we see, as different energy levels correspond to different wavelengths of light. Additionally, energy quantization plays a crucial role in fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.