Energy quantization of the particle in a box

In summary, the origin of energy quantization in quantum mechanics can be understood by considering the search for acceptable energy eigen-functions, such as the finite well potential. Through numerical integration of Schrodinger's equation, we can find the desired declining exponential on both sides of the well. The "overall scale" refers to the fact that any constant multiple of a solution to Schrodinger's equation is also a solution. This allows us to choose the value of the function at a specific point and then normalize it later. The allowed energies and corresponding eigen-functions can be found by adjusting the starting value for \psi' until the function does not blow up at large positive or negative values of x.
bodyscripter
I'm self-learning quantum mechanics and I'm reading the famous Shankar book (Principles of Quantum Mechanics - second edittion). At page 161 of the book, I don't understand the following part of this page:

"Let us restate the origin of energy quantization in another way. Consider the search for acceptable energy eigen-functions, taking the finite well as an example. If we start with some arbitrary values ##\psi(x_0)## and ##\psi'(x_0)##, at some point ##x_0## to the right of the well, we can integrate Schrodinger's equation numerically. (Recall the analogy with the problem of finding the trajectory of a particle given its initial position and velocity and the force on it.) As we integrate out to ##x \to \infty##, ##\psi## will surely blow up since ##\psi_{III}## contains a growing exponential. Since ##\psi(x_0)## merely fixes the overall scale, we vary ##\psi'(x_0)## until the growing exponential is killed. [Since we can solve problem analytically in region III, we can even say what the desired value of ##\psi'(x_0)## is: it is given by ##\psi'(x_0) = -\kappa \psi(x_0)##. Verify, starting with Eq. (5.2.4), that this implies ##B=0##.] We are now out of the fix as ##x \to \infty##, but we are committed to whatever comes out as we integrate to the left of ##x_0##. We will find that ##\psi## grows exponential till we reach the well, whereupon it will oscillate. When we cross the well, ##\psi## will again start to grow exponentially, for ##\psi_I## also contains a growing exponentially in general. Thus there will be no acceptable solution at some randomly chosen energy. It can, however, happen that for certain values of energy, ##\psi## will be exponentially damped in both regions I and III. [At any point ##x_0'## in region I, there is a ratio ##\psi'(x_0')/\psi(x_0')## for which only the damped exponential survives. The ##\psi## we get integrating from region III will not generally have this feature. At special energies, however, this can happen.] These are the allowed energies and the corresponding functions are the allowed eigen-functions. Having found them, we can choose ##\psi(x_0)## such that they are normalized to unity. For a nice numerical analysis of this problem see the book by Eisberg and Resnick.$".

I need the formula details to understand it. Another question: "overall scale", what does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't follow it either - maybe with work but not easily.

However I can point you to a series of lectures that does carefully explain what's going on and much more besides:

Thanks
Bill

Likes eloheim
bodyscripter said:
I need the formula details to understand it. Another question: "overall scale", what does it mean?

The "formula" is just the time-independent Schrodinger's equation for the infinite square well potential. It will have been covered somewhere in previous 160-odd pages. There is also an assumption here that you know what numerical integration is; you don't have to actually do it, but you have to know what it is.

The bit about "overall scale" is just referring to the fact that if ##\psi## is a solution to Schrodinger's equation, then any constant multiple of ##\psi## is also a solution. Thus we can choose ##\psi## to have any value we please at any single point without losing any generality. We then work from there to find the ##\psi## and ##\psi'## that when numerically integrated give us the desired declining exponential on both sides of the well. That's an unnormalized eigenfunction, but as a final step we can multiply it by whatever constant is necessary to normalize it.

Likes bodyscripter
bodyscripter said:

To answer the last question first, Schrodinger's equation for an energy eigenstate is:

[itex](\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + V(x)) \psi(x) = E \psi(x)[/itex]

Obviously, if [itex]\psi(x)[/itex] solves this equation, then so does [itex]\tilde{\psi}(x) \equiv C \psi(x)[/itex] for any constant [itex]C[/itex]. So we can choose [itex]\psi(x_0)[/itex] to be anything at all, and solve the equation, then at the end, we can multiply by a constant [itex]C[/itex] to make [itex]\int |\psi(x)|^2 dx = 1[/itex]. So he's just saying it doesn't matter what choice we make for [itex]\psi(x_0)[/itex].

As far as the details for his claim, I'm not sure what extra details you want. Mathematically, Schrodinger's equation implicitly gives a function [itex]\psi(x) = F(x,E,x_0, \psi_0,\psi'_0)[/itex] that depends on 5 quantities: (1) [itex]x[/itex], of course, (2) the energy [itex]E[/itex], (3) [itex]x_0[/itex], your starting point, (4) [itex]\psi_0 \equiv \psi(x_0)[/itex], the value at [itex]x=x_0[/itex], and (5) [itex]\psi'_0[/itex], the value of [itex]\psi'[/itex] at [itex]x=x_0[/itex]. Let's hold [itex]\psi_0[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] fixed, so we get a function of three arguments: [itex]\psi(x) = F(x,E,\psi'_0)[/itex]. There are various ways to compute [itex]F[/itex], either numerically or in a power series.

Now, the first claim being made is that for almost all values of [itex]\psi'_0[/itex], [itex]lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} F(x,E,\psi'_0) = \infty[/itex]. Only for one very specific value of [itex]\psi'_0[/itex] will it be the case that [itex]lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} F(x,E,\psi'_0) = 0[/itex]. The author claims that that value is [itex]\psi'_0 = -\kappa \psi_0[/itex]. So let's pick that value for [itex]\psi'_0[/itex]

The second claim being made is that for almost all values of [itex]E[/itex], if [itex]\psi'_0 = -\kappa \psi_0[/itex], then [itex]lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty} F(x,E,\psi'_0) = \infty[/itex]. An energy eigenvalue is some value of [itex]E[/itex] such that [itex]lim_{x \rightarrow -\infty} F(x,E,\psi'_0) = 0[/itex] when [itex]\psi'_0 = -\kappa \psi_0[/itex].

So if you are solving the Schrodinger equation numerically, then you could do it this way:
  1. Fix [itex]x_0[/itex] and [itex]\psi_0[/itex]
  2. Make a guess for a starting value for [itex]E[/itex]
  3. Make a guess for a starting value for [itex]\psi'_0[/itex]
  4. Check if [itex]F(x,E,\psi'_0)[/itex] blows up for [itex]x[/itex] large and positive.
  5. If so, adjust [itex]\psi'_0[/itex] and go back to 4.
  6. If not, then check if [itex]F(x,E,\psi'_0)[/itex] blows up for [itex]x[/itex] large and negative.
  7. If so, adjust [itex]E[/itex] and go back to 3.
  8. If not, then you've found an approximate eigenvalue.

Likes bodyscripter and vanhees71

1. What is the principle behind the energy quantization of a particle in a box?

The energy quantization of a particle in a box is based on the principle that a particle confined within a finite space will only have certain allowed energy states, which are quantized and discrete.

2. How does the size of the box affect the energy levels of the particle?

The size of the box directly affects the energy levels of the particle. As the size of the box decreases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, resulting in a higher energy state for the particle.

3. Can the energy levels of a particle in a box be visualized?

Yes, the energy levels of a particle in a box can be visualized through a graph known as the energy level diagram. This diagram shows the allowed energy levels for the particle as well as the energy gaps between them.

4. How does the energy quantization of a particle in a box relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The energy quantization of a particle in a box is a result of the wave-like behavior of particles, which is described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

5. Can the energy quantization of a particle in a box be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, the energy quantization of a particle in a box has been observed in various systems, such as atoms confined in optical lattices and electrons in quantum dots. These systems provide a way to study the effects of energy quantization in a controlled environment.