Energy Released in Thermonuclear Runaway of 1 Solar Mass White Dwarf

  • Thread starter Thread starter erogard
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    runaway
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
erogard
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

Ok this got to be a very simple question...

"Calculate the energy released if a 1 solar mass white dwarf undergoes a thermonuclear runaway and converts 0.5 solar masses of carbon (A=12) to iron (A=56)."

I know I'm supposed to use e=mc², but I would like to know what the reaction actually is.
We start with 1/2 solar mass of C and get X solar mass of iron. Are we assuming X is 1/2?
Also aren't we converting lighter atoms to heavier ones? Then how could energy be released in such a process?

Just a little bit confused. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Light atoms fuse and so you have fewer of them as heavier fused atoms. (I can hear you slapping your forehead).