Energy required to transfer an object to a higher orbit

In summary, the problem involves finding the amount of energy required to transfer a spaceship of mass m from an orbit of radius R around a planet of mass M to an orbit of radius 3R. Using the equations for kinetic energy, gravitational potential energy, and velocity, the correct solution is found to be GMm/2R. The mistake in the initial attempt was due to a negative sign error.
wrongusername

Homework Statement

A spaceship of mass m circles a planet (mass = M) in an orbit of radius R. How much energy is required to transfer the spaceship to a circular orbit of radius 3R?

Homework Equations

K=.5mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]
U[tex]_{g}[/tex]=-[tex]\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
v=2(pi)r/T
v=(ar)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

I had no idea how to do this problem. I thought about subtracting the total final energy from the total initial energy to get the energy input required, but I didn't know how to find v. The two equations I could think of for find v are listed above

It would be nice if you guys could at least give me a hint as to how to solve this test problem, since I get to have a second try at it tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
What force is needed to keep something in uniform circular motion? How does this relate to the gravitational force that makes a the spaceship orbit the planet?

D H said:
What force is needed to keep something in uniform circular motion? How does this relate to the gravitational force that makes a the spaceship orbit the planet?

That would be the centripetal force, which is mv^2/r
And that's equal to the gravitational force, GMm/r^2

Which leads me to v^2 = GM/r
I substituted that into the equations I had and got -GMm/3r for a final answer. Jeez, the solution was that simple? Thank you very much for helping me! :)

That simple. However -- are you sure about the sign of your result? Does that make sense?

D H said:
That simple. However -- are you sure about the sign of your result? Does that make sense?

Dang... you're right. It doesn't make sense since the energy should be greater at the higher orbit. And all the answer choices are positive anyways.

I see where I went wrong now. Thanks for the heads up!

1. What is the energy required to transfer an object to a higher orbit?

The energy required to transfer an object to a higher orbit is dependent on several factors, including the mass of the object, the initial and final orbital velocities, and the distance between the initial and final orbits. This can be calculated using the formula: E = (GMm)/r, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the initial and final orbits.

2. How does the initial and final orbital velocities affect the energy required?

The initial and final orbital velocities have a significant impact on the energy required to transfer an object to a higher orbit. The greater the difference between the two velocities, the higher the energy required. This is because a larger change in velocity requires a larger change in kinetic energy, which is directly related to the energy required for the transfer.

3. What is the role of the mass of the object in determining the energy required?

The mass of the object also plays a crucial role in determining the energy required for a transfer to a higher orbit. The greater the mass of the object, the more energy is needed to overcome the gravitational pull of the larger body and achieve a higher orbit. This is evident in the formula for calculating the energy required, where the mass of the object is directly proportional to the energy.

4. How does the distance between the initial and final orbits affect the energy required?

The distance between the initial and final orbits also has a significant impact on the energy required for a transfer. As the distance increases, the energy required also increases. This is because a larger distance means a greater change in potential energy, which is directly related to the energy required for the transfer.

5. Can the energy required to transfer an object to a higher orbit be reduced?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the energy required for a transfer to a higher orbit through various methods, such as using gravitational assists from other bodies, utilizing the Oberth effect (increasing velocity at the closest point to the larger body), or using a combination of multiple maneuvers. These techniques can significantly reduce the energy required for the transfer and make it more efficient.