How Is Energy Calculated in a Charged Capacitor?

J as the final answer.In summary, the first part of the problem involves finding the energy stored in a 4.7-mu capacitor charged to 290 V, which is equal to 1.975E-1 J. The second part involves finding the additional energy required to charge the capacitor from 290 V to 780 V, which can be calculated using the equation U = 1.2*C*V2. The final answer is 1.2326 J.
clickcaptain

Homework Statement

1) A 4.7-mu or micro FF capacitor is charged to 290 V. How much energy is stored in the capacitor?

2) How much additional energy is required to charge the capacitor from 290 V to 780 V?

Homework Equations

U = 1.2*C*V2

The Attempt at a Solution

The first one I got right...

1) U = 1/2*(4.7 * 10-6)*290 = 1.975E-1

2) I thought to find this one you could use the change in energy would have to equal the change in potential? So I tried this...but its not right, can anyone tell me where I went wrong? thanks!

Uf - 1.975E-1 = .5*(4.7E-6)(780)2 - .5*4.7E-6*2902

Uf = 1.4297 J

Physics news on Phys.org
I did Uf - 1.975E-1 = .5*(4.7E-6)(780)2 - .5*4.7E-6*290^2

but I got 1.232

Last edited:

To answer this question, we need to use the formula for energy stored in a capacitor, which is U = 1/2*C*V^2.

1) Plugging in the given values, we get U = 1/2*(4.7*10^-6)*290^2 = 1.975 J. Therefore, the energy stored in the capacitor is 1.975 J.

2) To find the additional energy required to charge the capacitor from 290 V to 780 V, we need to find the difference in energy between the final and initial states. So, ΔU = Ufinal - Uinitial = 1/2*C*(780^2 - 290^2) = 1.429 J. Therefore, the additional energy required is 1.429 J.

The mistake in your attempt was that you only considered the change in potential, but you also need to consider the change in capacitance. Hope this helps!

FAQ: How Is Energy Calculated in a Charged Capacitor?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

When a capacitor is connected to a power source, one plate accumulates a positive charge and the other accumulates a negative charge. This creates an electric field between the plates that stores the energy. The amount of energy stored is determined by the capacitance value of the capacitor and the voltage applied to it.

3. What is the unit of measurement for energy stored in a capacitor?

The unit of measurement for energy stored in a capacitor is joules (J). However, it is more commonly measured in terms of capacitance (C) and voltage (V), with the equation E = 0.5 * C * V^2.

4. How is the energy stored in a capacitor released?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be released by connecting it to a circuit. When the capacitor is connected, the stored energy is discharged through the circuit, providing a temporary burst of power. This process can be repeated as long as the capacitor is able to hold a charge.

5. What factors affect the energy stored in a capacitor?

The amount of energy stored in a capacitor is influenced by three main factors: capacitance, voltage, and dielectric material. A capacitor with a higher capacitance value can store more energy, and a higher voltage applied to the capacitor will result in more energy being stored. The type of dielectric material used also affects the capacitance value and therefore the amount of energy that can be stored.