Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy transfer acceleration due to large energy difference.

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    In a hypothetical example i have been thinking about a hot substance such as tea is sitting on the bench the air around the tea is colder than the tea so the process of thermal equilibrium is underway. If the tea is much hotter than an ordinary example does this increased difference in heat increase the rate of transfer by a rate proportional to the difference in temperature of the substances.And if so why do you suppose this would be?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You got linked to Newton's law of cooling a couple days ago.

4. Dec 24, 2014 #3
    Could you remind me when this was?

5. Dec 24, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Dec 24, 2014 #5
    Doesn't matter in the end :) thank you for the help the good news is at least i managed to identify the same parameters newton did, that alone makes this mistake worth it for me.

7. Dec 24, 2014 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Rediscovering things for yourself is not a mistake. It is a valuable part of learning. Well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook