Understanding Energy vs. Enthalpy: Real Life Applications

• Thread starter pzona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the difference between enthalpy and energy is that enthalpy is a measure of the energy in a system, while energy is a measure of the ability of a system to do work.
pzona
I'm currently working on problems comparing [tex]\Delta[/tex]E to [tex]\Delta[/tex]H (in reaction systems and physical processes) and I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding the actual difference between the two. I know what each is, and I realize that they're completely different (although dependent of each other). I can recite their definitions but I'm not sure how to think of one as opposed to the other in terms of real life application. I was wondering if anyone could explain this difference better than my textbook. Any help is appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't know if this helps, but the enthalpy of a system is its energy plus the work needed to move the surroundings out of the way.

For condensed systems at constant pressure, [itex]\Delta E[/itex] and [itex]\Delta H[/itex] are relatively close, since volume changes in these systems are small compared to gaseous systems.

Another way to look at enthalpy is that it's the quantity that's spontaneously minimized in an adiabatic (thermally insulated) system at constant pressure.

Do you understand the differences between exergy and gibbs free energy? Exergy and gibbs free energy is analogous to energy and enthalpy.

There's no specific relationship between energy and enthalpy. Enthalpy is a certain form of energy.

If you have a change in energy, [tex]\Delta E[/tex], then how that relates to [tex]\Delta H[/tex], if it relates at all, depends entirely on which change in energy [tex]\Delta E[/tex] is supposedly measuring.

I'm looking at potential and kinetic energies for E (in this case, whichever energy applies to the system, depending on the question).

Another related question: E=(3/2)RT can be used only for an ideal gas, correct? I had a problem in which I used this for the combustion products of decane, but I don't remember hearing anything else in class for "real" gases, so I used this since I knew the temperature change for the system. Would this give me an answer close enough to the real value?

Yeah the real gas equation is big and long and a headche to use, I don't think it's used at all in academic problems. And yes whenever energy is mentioned for the overall reaction, use the E. The enthalpy is related to energy in terms of the gibbs free energy equation.

So in a physics problem you would have Kinetic + potential = delta E, beware of the + and - signs.

alxm said:
There's no specific relationship between energy and enthalpy. Enthalpy is a certain form of energy.

H = E + PV? Seems pretty specific to me. :smile:

Mapes said:
H = E + PV? Seems pretty specific to me. :smile:

That's the equation we've been using for a lot of the problems. The hardest part is learning to think of each variable in terms of real things. I'm getting better at it, but I guess it's like everything in chem, it just takes a lot of practice :rolleyes:

What is the difference between energy and enthalpy?

Energy is the capacity to do work, while enthalpy is the total heat content of a system. Energy is a scalar quantity, while enthalpy is a state function.

How are energy and enthalpy related?

Enthalpy is a measure of the internal energy of a system plus the product of the pressure and volume of the system. In other words, enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system.

What are some real life applications of understanding energy and enthalpy?

Understanding energy and enthalpy is crucial in fields such as thermodynamics, chemical engineering, and environmental science. It is used to analyze and optimize energy usage in industrial processes, design efficient heating and cooling systems, and study the effects of energy transfer on the environment.

How can understanding energy and enthalpy help in energy conservation?

By understanding the concepts of energy and enthalpy, scientists and engineers can develop more efficient energy systems and processes, reducing energy waste and ultimately conserving resources. It also allows for the identification of areas where energy can be recovered or reused.

What are some common misconceptions about energy and enthalpy?

One common misconception is that energy and enthalpy are the same thing. While they are related, they are not interchangeable. Another misconception is that enthalpy is a source of energy, when in reality it is a measure of the total energy of a system. Finally, many people think that enthalpy can only be changed through heating or cooling, when in fact it can also be changed through work or chemical reactions.