Engine explodes out of tractor pull semi truck

In summary, a diesel engine explodes and literally shoots out of a tractor pulling truck. These explosions are fairly common in the sport of tractor pulling, but they're more common for the engine to simply explode. The power driven diesel has had a few spectactular blow-ups.
ElliotSmith
A diesel engine explodes and literally shoots out of a tractor pulling truck.

Apparently this type of thing is fairly common in the sport of tractor pulling, but it's much more common for the engine to simply explode.

• Wow
Likes Astronuc
Physics news on Phys.org
ElliotSmith said:
A diesel engine explodes and literally shoots out of a tractor pulling truck.

Apparently this type of thing is fairly common in the sport of tractor pulling, but it's much more common for the engine to simply explode.

They push it to the limit. It's part of the spectacule. No idea about the physics behind

Huge power, huge energies and huge booms, they always live together.

Likes BillTre and Bystander
Does the radio still work?

• Haha
Likes sysprog, Twigg, JBA and 1 other person
The muffler bearings must have seized ...

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary and Bystander
You can buff that out with McGuiares.

Cheers

Likes PhDeezNutz
That engine was not made out of engine.

Likes PhDeezNutz
mcastillo356 said:
No idea about the physics behind
Looks like the LH engine mount broke under tension due to high torque, so motor lifted and rolled to the right. The gearbox mount and tail-shaft then broke, fuel and air stopped, exhaust blocked, so the engine stopped suddenly, with all rotational energy transferred to all engine as a lump. The twisted RH engine mount finally let's go as the motor rolls forward out of the engine bay.

Likes PhDeezNutz, jack action and sysprog
Baluncore said:
Looks like the LH engine mount broke under tension due to high torque, so motor lifted and rolled to the right.
That happened to me, but writ small. My first car was a Toyota Tercel. I remember wondering what those lumps of rubber were, under the front-end.
Thereafter, the car started bucking.

DaveC426913 said:
That engine was not made out of engine.
That reminds me of that old joke about CPUs.

CPUs are working with smoke, you now.
Once the smoke is leaked out, they stops working.

https://ntnoa.org/LucasSmoke.htm

I once owned an Austin-Healy. Enough said.

Oh, and years ago a guy I knew brought home his parents' Buick with a 455 engine, with a dent in the hood. The motor had tried to jump out of the car when a mount broke (under extreme duress).

Apparently engine explosions are very common in tractor pulling.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Baluncore said:
Looks like the LH engine mount broke under tension due to high torque, so motor lifted and rolled to the right. The gearbox mount and tail-shaft then broke, fuel and air stopped, exhaust blocked, so the engine stopped suddenly, with all rotational energy transferred to all engine as a lump. The twisted RH engine mount finally let's go as the motor rolls forward out of the engine bay.
Bringing up an old post, (I was looking for a specific tractor engine blow-up and came across this) but you're not correct there, if you look when they're pulling the truck away, the crank, harmonic balancer, etc are still all in the frame.. this is a split block.

At the power levels these things are at, everything really is stressed to the max, often putting out 10x the factory rated power
I'm looking for the full video of this one, it threw the top half of the engine out 30 ft in front of the truck

Here are a few more impressive ones
I saw in one article the forged cranks (they weigh like 100 lbs) flex up to 5 degrees at these power levels.. *yikes*
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guy-runs-over-his-own-engine-after-it-explodes.647888/

Power driven diesel has had a few spectactular blow-ups
On the dyno

and going down the track at 100something MPH (this one was caused by a runaway, engine let go at 8200 RPM)

1. What causes an engine to explode out of a tractor pull semi truck?

The main cause of an engine exploding out of a tractor pull semi truck is excessive strain on the engine. Tractor pulls require trucks to pull extremely heavy loads at high speeds, putting a great amount of stress on the engine and its components. This can cause the engine to overheat and ultimately fail, resulting in an explosion.

2. How common is it for engines to explode during tractor pulls?

Engine explosions during tractor pulls are not very common, but they can happen. These trucks are designed to handle extreme loads and speeds, but even with proper maintenance and precautions, the strain can sometimes be too much for the engine to handle.

3. Are there any safety measures in place to prevent engine explosions during tractor pulls?

Yes, there are several safety measures in place to prevent engine explosions during tractor pulls. Trucks must undergo thorough inspections before competing, and drivers are required to wear safety gear and have proper training. Additionally, there are weight limits and regulations in place to prevent excessive strain on the engine.

4. Can an engine explosion during a tractor pull be dangerous for spectators?

Yes, an engine explosion during a tractor pull can be dangerous for spectators. The explosion can send debris flying, which can potentially injure nearby spectators. For this reason, it is important for spectators to stay a safe distance away from the track and follow all safety guidelines provided by the event organizers.

5. What can be done to prevent engine explosions during tractor pulls?

To prevent engine explosions during tractor pulls, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial. This includes checking for any potential issues with the engine or its components, as well as ensuring that the truck is within weight limits and regulations. It is also important for drivers to listen to their engines and know their limits to prevent excessive strain.