Engineer wants to be Physicist, whats my next step?

In summary, if you have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, you may be able to pursue an MS in Physics. However, you will need to take some prerequisite courses and might need to have some experience in Nuclear Engineering.
jasc15
Engineer wants to be Physicist, what's my next step??

I have a BS in mech eng and am working full time in the semiconductor/data storage industry. I've been exposed to physics here and i find myself stopping to listen to discussions in the lab among the physicists and asking questions. I've always had a real passion for physics, but didnt think i could do much with a degree besides teaching. now i see that there are real career opportunities for physicists and I've decided that i want to pursue a masters in physics or at least engineering physics. i have a loose plan of action consisting of taking some undergrad physics courses to prepare me for the physics GRE and for grad school, i also spoke to a professor of mine about a year ago who said i would have to pretty much get a BS before i can go for my masters, which makes sense. sorry for the run-on sentences, its pretty late. if anyone has any reccomendations please offer your expertise

Physics news on Phys.org
jasc15 said:
I have a BS in mech eng and am working full time in the semiconductor/data storage industry. I've been exposed to physics here and i find myself stopping to listen to discussions in the lab among the physicists and asking questions. I've always had a real passion for physics, but didnt think i could do much with a degree besides teaching. now i see that there are real career opportunities for physicists and I've decided that i want to pursue a masters in physics or at least engineering physics. i have a loose plan of action consisting of taking some undergrad physics courses to prepare me for the physics GRE and for grad school, i also spoke to a professor of mine about a year ago who said i would have to pretty much get a BS before i can go for my masters, which makes sense. sorry for the run-on sentences, its pretty late. if anyone has any reccomendations please offer your expertise

I don't see why you couldn't get into a master's program(a PhD program might be a different story depending on the school) with an engineering degree if you have a good Physics Subject GRE score. However, in order to do that, it may well be that you'll need to practically get a BS in physics. the subject GRE covers all the main pillars of a typical undergrad program.

Hi jasc15!

Although I, myself am searching for something else, becouse I have a Master's in Physics and I want to apply for a PhD, what I found can be useful for you either. Take a look at IMEC's site (www.imec.be)[/URL]. There are lots of Master and PhD positions for scientists and also for Engineers too and they do their researches mostly in semiconductor physics.
I think you should take a look at it!

Good luck!

Gergely

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be another option apart from doing a BSc in Physics is doing the core of the BSc so that basically you do all of the 2nd and 3rd year physics units. In Australia where I am there are a couple of universities which offer Graduate Diplomas which do this, something which is even easier if you are an Eng graduate as you already have 1st year physics and 2nd year maths.

Im graduating in November with a BSc in Chemistry and hoping to study more Physics after I graduate with any luck : )

Oskar

In order to pursue an MS in physics, one should look at the requirements. If one's baccalaureate curriculum in Mech Eng covered the prerequisites, then one could certainly enter an MS Physics Program.

Perhaps one should compare undergrad physics curricula from different schools and compare to one's undergrad ME program.

In nuclear engineering, my former department required anyone from a non-Nuc E program to take junior and senior level courses in order to obtain the minimal background required for an MS program.

There are certain upper level courses in Mathematics and Physics that one might need in order to pursue an MS or Doctorate in Physics.

hi, I am in a similar position..me a BE in comp sci and have 4 yrs exp. I am keen on astrophysics and would like to do my masters in the same. but I am very skeptical on career prospectives. can some one through more light on this ?

1. How can I become a physicist if I have an engineering background?

Many engineers have successfully transitioned into careers in physics. The first step is to gain a strong foundation in physics by taking courses in the subject and self-studying if necessary. It is also important to gain research experience in physics and build a strong network within the physics community.

2. Should I pursue a graduate degree in physics?

It is highly recommended to pursue a graduate degree in physics if you want to become a physicist. This will provide you with advanced knowledge and research experience in the field, making you a competitive candidate for jobs in physics.

3. Can I work as a physicist with just an engineering degree?

While it is possible to work in certain areas of physics with an engineering degree, it is not typically enough to work as a physicist. Most employers will require a graduate degree in physics or a related field.

4. How can I gain research experience in physics as an engineer?

There are several ways to gain research experience in physics as an engineer. You can participate in research projects at your university or seek out internships or volunteer opportunities in physics labs. You can also conduct your own research projects and present your findings at conferences or publish them in journals.

5. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should focus on as an engineer to transition into physics?

As an engineer, you already have a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills, which are essential for physics. However, it is important to focus on developing a strong understanding of theoretical and experimental physics concepts, as well as gaining programming skills, which are highly valued in the field of physics.