Engineering FE Exam: Taking Exam Before Graduation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the timing of receiving results for the FE Exam. The individual plans to take it during their senior year and is concerned about not receiving the results until after graduation. However, others in the conversation mention that results are typically received a few months after taking the exam and before graduation. One person confirms this from their own experience, while another suggests asking a senior who took the exam in October. Overall, it seems that taking the exam in October would result in receiving the results before graduation.
Mr. A
I am planning to take FE Exam during my senior year. I was planning to take it during October so I can put it down on my resume, but I have heard they won't release the results to you until you graduate. Is that true?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone knows?

It's been ~25 or so years since I took it during an MS program. I seem to remember that the results came a few months later, well before I got the degree. I think if one takes it in October this year, one would get the results before graduation. Maybe a senior who graduates this year and who took the FE last October can confirm.

I took the FE exam in April and they told me it would be four months until I would find out my score.

What is the FE Exam?

The FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Exam is a standardized test that evaluates the knowledge and skills of engineering students in their final year of undergraduate studies. It is the first step in becoming a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the United States.

Can I take the FE Exam before I graduate?

Yes, you can take the FE Exam before graduation. However, it is recommended to take the exam during your final year of undergraduate studies when the material is still fresh in your mind.

What are the benefits of taking the FE Exam before graduation?

Taking the FE Exam before graduation allows you to complete the licensing process and become a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) sooner. This can give you a competitive edge in the job market and may also lead to higher salary potential.

What topics are covered in the FE Exam?

The FE Exam covers a wide range of topics including mathematics, statistics, chemistry, physics, computer science, ethics, and various engineering disciplines such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and environmental engineering.

How can I prepare for the FE Exam?

To prepare for the FE Exam, it is recommended to review and practice the fundamental concepts and equations from your undergraduate engineering courses. Additionally, you can purchase study materials and take practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the exam.