Engineering in Europe: Graduate Degree Requirement?

In summary: You will find that, while many engineering positions do require a masters degree, not all of them. Most jobs in Europe will only require a bachelor's degree, but there are a few positions that do require a masters degree. For example, a masters degree may be required to obtain a license to practise engineering in some European countries. However, this is not always the case. Some countries, such as the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Benelux-countries, spain and scandinavia, are particularly welcoming to engineers with a bachelor's degree. Additionally, many companies in Europe will only contact engineers who have a masters degree. Unfortunately, not all masters degrees are the same. Some masters degree programs are more
canuckflyboy
I recently graduated with a bachelors in mechanical engineering from Canada. Right now I'm working and am really wanting to take off to Europe at the first chance I get.

When looking at job openings in Europe I was surprised that the majority of positions available required master’s degree. Is a graduate degree a minimum requirement for practising engineering and getting a license in Europe?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I will make this a very informative post. As much info as I could give at this present moment (without googling that much... google at your own discretion).

You come from a rich country with a western pragmatic view. (not saying that anything else is bad, but you will have a bit of a difficulty due to discrimination against non-whites and non-westerners). You will have probably no problem at all with the issuing of a work visa for the EU. Especially when you have much needed expertise. Although I wouldn't do "ski-bumming" that much.

The countries which have the greatest potential for a non-russianspeaking engineer (but english and may I be so dare as to say a bit of french?) would be almost any country west of Berlin. The working language of many european corporations are in fact english (surprise :rolleyes:) although on breaks they probably will be talking the native tongue. For a mechanical engineer I would probably go to the following countries; UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, the Benelux-countries, spain and scandinavia. Maybe a couple of central european countries to, but the pay isn't that good there (unless you're with a brand-name multinational).

Next off, put your CV and cover letter on monster. A number of corporations should be contacting you. Besides, I would save up a lot on money for the phone bill, because you will google a lot and actually talk to international recruiters situated in europe.

Plus, the majority of positions doesn't require a masters degree. Those are the only one that gets coverage across the atlantic I presume. There are a lot of positions that only require a bachelors. But those positions you probably need to be on-site to apply for.

Fearless said:
You come from a rich country with a western pragmatic view. (not saying that anything else is bad, but you will have a bit of a difficulty due to discrimination against non-whites and non-westerners).

Isn't Canada considered a "western" country?

As a Canadian you probably won't be discriminated against in Europe - at least you will not experience any more discrimination than a Dutch person in France would experience. People in Europe mostly think that Canada is a sort of low-fat America.

I know a Canadian guy with an engineering degree (from a Canadian university) who works for the European Space Agency in the Netherlands.

http://www.esa.int/hr/vn.htm

Oedipaa maas: the allusions are all wrong I think. I certainly mean that Canada is a western -style country. Almost a model western one. But I also put a little info in parenthesis for the non-western people on this forum which lurks and also are avid readers/posters that scrounges for information on this subject.

Thank you for all the replies and I wouldn't worry at all about the cultural aspects of working in europe, but more over the academic requirements.

Looking at some oil positions in Scandinavia I was stunned to see that there were Jr. Engineering positions requiring a masters which I found odd when in Canada only about 10-15% of engineering undergrads continue towards a masters degree. This kind of worries me as I'm not sure if a masters would be required to obtain a license in Europe. I know foreigners in Canada have a very hard time getting their PEng in Canada especially if their degrees aren't recognized. (I think this maybe employment protectionism more then anything else, not that I agree with it)

Hi. In Europe very few students actually do the BEng, most doing MEng in the form of a four or five year undergraduate course.

Related to Engineering in Europe: Graduate Degree Requirement?

1. What are the general requirements for obtaining a graduate degree in engineering in Europe?

In most European countries, a master's degree is the minimum requirement for obtaining a graduate degree in engineering. This typically involves completing coursework, a research project, and a thesis.

2. Are there any language requirements for engineering graduate programs in Europe?

Yes, many engineering programs in Europe require proficiency in the language of instruction, which is often the local language of the country. Some programs may also offer courses in English, but it is important to check the language requirements before applying.

3. Do I need to have a bachelor's degree in engineering to pursue a graduate degree in Europe?

While having a bachelor's degree in engineering is preferred, it is not always a requirement for graduate programs in Europe. Some programs may accept students with degrees in related fields, but may require additional coursework to make up for any gaps in knowledge.

4. How long does it take to complete a graduate degree in engineering in Europe?

The duration of graduate programs in Europe varies depending on the country and specific program. On average, it takes 1-2 years to complete a master's degree and 3-4 years to complete a doctoral degree in engineering in Europe.

5. Are there any specific entrance exams required for engineering graduate programs in Europe?

Some European universities may require applicants to take entrance exams such as the GRE or GMAT, while others may have their own specific exams. It is important to check with the individual program for their specific requirements.