1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering major and Nanotechnology

1. Jan 9, 2006 #1
    I am a freshmen engineering student. I want to be a professional engineering in Nanotechnology field. What kind of engineering do I have to pursue for this technology? And what do you think of the future of this technology?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2006 #2

At the current point I would suggest going into Physics, not engineering if you want to do nanotech. You would also have to do a biochem minor probably (or something along those lines). We have a nanotech lab here on campus and all the people there are Physics majors with a large number of chemistry and biochem courses (i actually considered working there at one point, its fascinating stuff, but i had little interest in taking all that biochem, so i went with astrophysics instead). Most research in Nanotech is into gudied self-assembly, how to get nanostructures to assemble themselves by specifically structuring them to do it. I suppose Chemical Engineering might be relevant, but I really think physics would be better.
  4. Jan 13, 2006 #3

If you would consider going abroad, the dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at University College London are offering a 4 year Masters of Engineering program in Nanotechnology tentatively going live in 2006. Though I would imagine that's less "pure science" and more toward a nanotechnology in electronics approach.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?