1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud

1. Mar 26, 2005 #1
    I'm considering using the above book for private study of mathematics to complement my mathematical skills in physics

What experiences do people have with it? Too simple too hard?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Along with the Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Ken Stroud, it's full of content, seems to go at a good pace, has plenty of problems with solutions, and is easy to find your way around. My version (Fourth Edition, I think) also had a useful interactive CD ROM with it, containing more of the same.

At very worst, it makes a fantastic door stop.

Wanna buy my copy?

4. Mar 27, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Engineering Mathematics" by J.Bird (4-th ed.) is also a good book.It's introductory and could even be used as a textbook for highschool mathematics.

Daniel.

5. Mar 27, 2005 #4
    Well, I'm currently at colleage atm. 17 years old, and i found my brothers using the advanced engineering (the 'sequel') in university in imperial college in his engineering course.

I thought of the engineering books to be a 'practical' book for just application, and little theory. If this is true, I'll work with another book with derivations of such to match the contents of engineering mathematics. (that is, if i consider to get it)

The reviews on amazon about the book are extremely good, although the price is somewhat punishing..

I think it will be more intreiging than the mathematics textbook that is used in college.

Dex: you mean this book?: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3770629-9553634?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  6. Mar 27, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,that book.I meant that book,exactly.It's good enough to get you with the basics in a comprehendable version.It's not too mathematical...It's good for applications and inclined to calculations...

Daniel.

7. Mar 27, 2005 #6
    If you don't mind asking dex, Did you use the book too during the early stages (?) of your life?

8. Mar 27, 2005 #7
    Serious with the selling? How much?

9. Mar 27, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course,i didn't use it.However,i think of myself as being capable of formulating a pertinent opinion on a subject that i know,even if that requires making a description of a book "at first sight"...For heaven's sake,it's simple mathematics...

Daniel.

P.S.If u don't believe me,what makes you believe the person that reccomended the other (initial book)...?Academic degree??I could have that one,too...

10. Mar 27, 2005 #9
    No no no. Dont get me wrong, please. I wasn't implying that you were lying or anything like that. The question was just for curiosity. IF that makes sense at all. But really, i didn't mean it like that. should have reformatted the question..

Sorry for that.

11. Mar 27, 2005 #10

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wasn't thinking of lying,not even lying down.I was just saying that the book is worth reading;i dunno about buying,though,i'm kinda cheap and i can't afford giving advice to someone on how to spend their money.

Daniel.

12. Mar 28, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where do you live? I'm in the UK, if you're abroad it's probably not worth it, it's a bit of a beast.

13. Mar 28, 2005 #12
    london here :)

14. Mar 28, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

U could meet in Birmingham,it's half way...:tongue2:

Daniel.

15. Mar 28, 2005 #14
    Or maybe I'll go to manchester.. could be a nice experience.

16. Mar 28, 2005 #15

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or maybe u meet in Birmingham,it would be a nice experience for both,i think...:uhh:

Daniel.

P.S.I think we hijack-ed this thread...

17. Mar 28, 2005 #16
    I'll rejack it, thank you :rolleyes:

If you could, could you recommend me other books similar?

18. Mar 28, 2005 #17

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's engineering mathematics,though.Incidentally that book passed under my nose while i had my eyes open.I could formulate an opinion regarding its contents.

I have books on mathematics,but they're for a physicist's use...

I think my contribution to this thread is over.

Daniel.

19. Mar 28, 2005 #18
    What about the opinion? ...

20. Mar 28, 2005 #19

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's on the first page of this thread...

Daniel.

21. Mar 28, 2005 #20
    yikes..

Ok. The thread shall die now..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?