Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud

In summary, this book is a good book to get you started with mathematics. It's introductory and could even be used as a textbook for high school mathematics. It's full of content, has plenty of problems with solutions, and is easy to find your way around. My version (Fourth Edition, I think) also had a useful interactive CD ROM with it, containing more of the same. At very worst, it makes a fantastic door stop. If you're interested in buying it, I can tell you where to find it.
Bladibla
I'm considering using the above book for private study of mathematics to complement my mathematical skills in physics

What experiences do people have with it? Too simple too hard?

Physics news on Phys.org
Along with the Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Ken Stroud, it's full of content, seems to go at a good pace, has plenty of problems with solutions, and is easy to find your way around. My version (Fourth Edition, I think) also had a useful interactive CD ROM with it, containing more of the same.

At very worst, it makes a fantastic door stop.

Wanna buy my copy?

"Engineering Mathematics" by J.Bird (4-th ed.) is also a good book.It's introductory and could even be used as a textbook for high school mathematics.

Daniel.

Well, I'm currently at colleage atm. 17 years old, and i found my brothers using the advanced engineering (the 'sequel') in university in imperial college in his engineering course.

I thought of the engineering books to be a 'practical' book for just application, and little theory. If this is true, I'll work with another book with derivations of such to match the contents of engineering mathematics. (that is, if i consider to get it)

The reviews on amazon about the book are extremely good, although the price is somewhat punishing..

I think it will be more intreiging than the mathematics textbook that is used in college.

Dex: you mean this book?:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes,that book.I meant that book,exactly.It's good enough to get you with the basics in a comprehendable version.It's not too mathematical...It's good for applications and inclined to calculations...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes,that book.I meant that book,exactly.It's good enough to get you with the basics in a comprehendable version.It's not too mathematical...It's good for applications and inclined to calculations...

Daniel.

If you don't mind asking dex, Did you use the book too during the early stages (?) of your life?

brewnog said:
Along with the Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Ken Stroud, it's full of content, seems to go at a good pace, has plenty of problems with solutions, and is easy to find your way around. My version (Fourth Edition, I think) also had a useful interactive CD ROM with it, containing more of the same.

At very worst, it makes a fantastic door stop.

Wanna buy my copy?

Serious with the selling? How much?

Of course,i didn't use it.However,i think of myself as being capable of formulating a pertinent opinion on a subject that i know,even if that requires making a description of a book "at first sight"...For heaven's sake,it's simple mathematics...

Daniel.

P.S.If u don't believe me,what makes you believe the person that reccomended the other (initial book)...?Academic degree??I could have that one,too...

dextercioby said:
Of course,i didn't use it.However,i think of myself as being capable of formulating a pertinent opinion on a subject that i know,even if that requires making a description of a book "at first sight"...For heaven's sake,it's simple mathematics...

Daniel.

P.S.If u don't believe me,what makes you believe the person that reccomended the other (initial book)...?Academic degree??I could have that one,too...

No no no. Dont get me wrong, please. I wasn't implying that you were lying or anything like that. The question was just for curiosity. IF that makes sense at all. But really, i didn't mean it like that. should have reformatted the question..

Sorry for that.

I wasn't thinking of lying,not even lying down.I was just saying that the book is worth reading;i don't know about buying,though,i'm kinda cheap and i can't afford giving advice to someone on how to spend their money.

Daniel.

Bladibla said:
Serious with the selling? How much?

Where do you live? I'm in the UK, if you're abroad it's probably not worth it, it's a bit of a beast.

brewnog said:
Where do you live? I'm in the UK, if you're abroad it's probably not worth it, it's a bit of a beast.

london here :)

U could meet in Birmingham,it's half way...:tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
U could meet in Birmingham,it's half way...:tongue2:

Daniel.

Or maybe I'll go to manchester.. could be a nice experience.

Or maybe u meet in Birmingham,it would be a nice experience for both,i think...:uhh:

Daniel.

P.S.I think we hijack-ed this thread...

dextercioby said:
Or maybe u meet in Birmingham,it would be a nice experience for both,i think...:uhh:

Daniel.

P.S.I think we hijack-ed this thread...

I'll rejack it, thank you :rolleyes:

If you could, could you recommend me other books similar?

It's engineering mathematics,though.Incidentally that book passed under my nose while i had my eyes open.I could formulate an opinion regarding its contents.

I have books on mathematics,but they're for a physicist's use...

I think my contribution to this thread is over.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's engineering mathematics,though.Incidentally that book passed under my nose while i had my eyes open.I could formulate an opinion regarding its contents.

I have books on mathematics,but they're for a physicist's use...

I think my contribution to this thread is over.

Daniel.

What about the opinion? ...

It's on the first page of this thread...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
It's on the first page of this thread...

Daniel.

yikes..

Ok. The thread shall die now..

London, that's fine.

It's in excellent condition. How about £15 plus postage? If you want, I'll put it on ebay and we'll make sure you win the auction, if you see what I mean :smile:

Last edited:
brewnog said:
London, that's fine.

It's in excellent condition. How about £15 plus postage? If you want, I'll put it on ebay and we'll make sure you win the auction, if you see what I mean :smile:

:biggrin:

Sure, once i get permission from my mum to use the card..

Ok, give us a shout when you're ready and I'll try and make a private auction using buy-it-now. My user name is jimbo_smiff.

Another question..

It contains CD oui?

I'll see if I can find it...!

Edit: Yep! Here it is! Version 1.1 :smile:

Edit #2: It's the 5th Edition, not the 4th as I previously stated.

brewnog said:
I'll see if I can find it...!

Edit: Yep! Here it is! Version 1.1 :smile:

Edit #2: It's the 5th Edition, not the 4th as I previously stated.

Awesome stuff.

I'll try and get my hands on some credit as soon as i can..

1. What is the purpose of "Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud"?

"Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud" is a textbook designed to provide a comprehensive and practical approach to mathematical concepts and techniques commonly used in engineering. It covers a wide range of topics including algebra, trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, and vector analysis, all with a focus on their applications in engineering problems.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in engineering?

Yes, "Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud" is suitable for beginners in engineering. It starts with the fundamentals of mathematics and gradually builds upon them, making it easy for students to understand and apply the concepts. The book also includes numerous examples and practice exercises to help students develop their problem-solving skills.

3. Does this book cover advanced topics in engineering mathematics?

Yes, "Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud" covers advanced topics in engineering mathematics such as Laplace transforms, Fourier series, and partial differential equations. It is a comprehensive resource that can be used by students at all levels of study, from introductory courses to more advanced engineering programs.

4. How does this book differ from other textbooks on engineering mathematics?

One of the key differences of "Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud" is its practical and real-world approach. The author includes many practical examples and applications of mathematical concepts in engineering, making it easier for students to understand and apply the material. Additionally, the book is known for its clear and concise explanations, making it a popular choice among students and instructors.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for practicing engineers?

Yes, "Engineering mathematics by K.A stroud" can be used as a reference for practicing engineers. The book covers a wide range of mathematical techniques and their applications in engineering, making it a valuable resource for professionals in the field. It also includes a comprehensive index, making it easy to find specific topics and formulas quickly.