Engineering Mathematics: K.A Stroud - Physics/Maths Book

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the author recommends a book called engineering mathematics (by K.A Stroud), which covers calculus, algebra, matrices, vectors, stats, probability, and some basic stuff (logs, etc).
madmike159
Gold Member
I'm looking for a book which covers all the maths I will need for doing a degree in physics. I found one called engineering mathematics (by K.A Stroud), it has every thing I think I need and give examples of where they can be used. It covers calculus, algebra, matrices, vectors, stats, probability and some basic stuff (logs etc).

If anyone has this book and can tell me what its like it would be very usful. If anyone has a book they would like to recommend please do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas is great. Many people on this site will recommend it highly. FYI the titles of the chapters are Infinite Series, Complex Numbers, Linear Algebra, Partial Differentiation, Multiple Integrals, Vector Analysis, Fourier series and transforms, Ordinary Differential Equations, Calculus of variations, Tensor analysis, Special functions, Series solutions of differential equations, Partial differential equations, Functions of a complex variable, Probability and statistics.

Huh. Is that really all the maths you need for an undergrad degree in physics? I was under the impression it was more than that.

It seems like a fairly complete list to me. Care to cite any specific examples? If you're in a more intensive program, such as Honors math-phys at my school, you might also see a lot of analysis and algebra, as well as some differential geometry and number theory, but I wouldn't think these are necessarily required maths of an undergraduate physics education.

Last edited:
qspeechc said:
Huh. Is that really all the maths you need for an undergrad degree in physics? I was under the impression it was more than that.
The physics philosophy regarding mathematics is to learn just enough to be able to solve problems. Thus a book/course in mathematical methods in physics will cover a lot of topics in relatively few pages/lectures because it will not be obsessed with proving everything, but will focus on showing how particular mathematics can be used to describe and solve physical problems instead.

Ok. Can some one give me a list of maths topics I would need for a physics degree course, then I can work out if a book is good or not.

You are trying to put the cart before the horse. Which degree in physics are you planning to take? What book of mathematical methods do they recommend? Get that.

If you can't understand a section in the recommended MM book that's the time to go looking for another book that can explain that particular section in a way you can understand.

1. What is the purpose of "Engineering Mathematics: K.A Stroud - Physics/Maths Book"?

The purpose of the book is to provide a comprehensive and practical guide to engineering mathematics, covering topics such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. It is designed for students and professionals in the fields of engineering, physics, and mathematics.

2. Is the book suitable for beginners or more advanced learners?

The book is suitable for both beginners and more advanced learners. It covers all the necessary mathematical concepts and techniques in a clear and easy-to-understand manner. It also includes more challenging problems for those looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any practical applications included in the book?

Yes, the book includes numerous practical applications of engineering mathematics, such as solving optimization problems, analyzing circuit diagrams, and modeling physical systems. These real-world examples help to illustrate the importance and relevance of the mathematical concepts being taught.

4. Does the book cover both theory and practice?

Yes, the book covers both theory and practice. It includes thorough explanations of mathematical concepts and principles, as well as numerous worked examples and practice problems to help readers apply their knowledge and develop problem-solving skills.

5. Is the book suitable for self-study or is it better used in a classroom setting?

The book is suitable for both self-study and classroom use. It is written in a clear and accessible style, making it easy for individuals to learn on their own. It can also be used as a textbook for engineering mathematics courses, and the end-of-chapter exercises make it a useful tool for classroom instruction and practice.