Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering public lectures

1. May 21, 2016 #1
    I just had an idea that it would be good to go and attend a public engineering lecture (having discovered that they exist), as I want to do engineering at university eventually. Do you have to apply to go to these? If they are free, is it the case that they get fully booked by engineers? Have you ever been to one and how was it?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of the Engineering and Science Institutions host a series of lectures each year . Only a few are members only - most are open to all comers .

Here's one example :

https://www.imeche.org/events/events-upcoming?feeType=0&resultsPage=5

Actual public lectures on technical subjects were once plentiful but they are as rare as hens teeth nowadays . Local University still holds a few - mostly with an arriving or departing Professor as the speaker . Sometimes with a guest speaker .

4. May 22, 2016 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is nothing to stop you using a proactive approach to lectures - ask any University , College or large industrial concern if they will send someone to give your school a talk on a topic of interest . Ask for a department or site visit as well .

5. May 23, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can also look at trade shows in your area -- they often have technical track lectures about subjects related to the show. Do you know what type of engineering you are most interested in yet? ME, EE, etc.?

6. May 23, 2016 #5
    Mechanical

7. May 23, 2016 #6

berkeman

Is there a British equivalent if the ASME in England? :smile:

8. May 23, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

See my link above .

9. May 23, 2016 #8

berkeman

Oops, sorry! :smile:

Do you know if they offer a student-level membership? I'm not seeing it so far on their website or the Wikipedia description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institution_of_Mechanical_Engineers

I was a student member of the IEEE for most of my college years, and it was a help in finding papers, lectures, etc.

10. May 23, 2016 #9

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. May 23, 2016 #10

berkeman

12. May 23, 2016 #11

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

University has the commonly understood meaning as a place of higher education and research .

In the IMechE questions School and College probably means lower level educational establishments like High Schools and adult learning Colleges with courses at below degree level .

In more common usage though the words School and College have multiple interpretations and are often misapplied .

I went to University of Wales College Swansea School of Engineering - that is the official title on the letterheads !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted