Should I Apply for University Public Engineering Lectures?

In summary, you can attend public lectures at engineering and science institutions if you are accepted by the speaker and the institution. The lectures are usually open to all comers, but some are only for members.
Parsifal1
I just had an idea that it would be good to go and attend a public engineering lecture (having discovered that they exist), as I want to do engineering at university eventually. Do you have to apply to go to these? If they are free, is it the case that they get fully booked by engineers? Have you ever been to one and how was it?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most of the Engineering and Science Institutions host a series of lectures each year . Only a few are members only - most are open to all comers .

Here's one example :

https://www.imeche.org/events/events-upcoming?feeType=0&resultsPage=5

Actual public lectures on technical subjects were once plentiful but they are as rare as hens teeth nowadays . Local University still holds a few - mostly with an arriving or departing Professor as the speaker . Sometimes with a guest speaker .

Likes berkeman
There is nothing to stop you using a proactive approach to lectures - ask any University , College or large industrial concern if they will send someone to give your school a talk on a topic of interest . Ask for a department or site visit as well .

Parsifal1 said:
I just had an idea that it would be good to go and attend a public engineering lecture (having discovered that they exist), as I want to do engineering at university eventually. Do you have to apply to go to these? If they are free, is it the case that they get fully booked by engineers? Have you ever been to one and how was it?

Cheers
You can also look at trade shows in your area -- they often have technical track lectures about subjects related to the show. Do you know what type of engineering you are most interested in yet? ME, EE, etc.?

berkeman said:
You can also look at trade shows in your area -- they often have technical track lectures about subjects related to the show. Do you know what type of engineering you are most interested in yet? ME, EE, etc.?
Mechanical

Parsifal1 said:
Mechanical
Is there a British equivalent if the ASME in England? :smile:

See my link above .

Nidum said:
See my link above . Go to the home page .
Oops, sorry! :smile:

Do you know if they offer a student-level membership? I'm not seeing it so far on their website or the Wikipedia description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institution_of_Mechanical_Engineers

I was a student member of the IEEE for most of my college years, and it was a help in finding papers, lectures, etc.

berkeman said:
"School or College" and "University"?

University has the commonly understood meaning as a place of higher education and research .

In the IMechE questions School and College probably means lower level educational establishments like High Schools and adult learning Colleges with courses at below degree level .

In more common usage though the words School and College have multiple interpretations and are often misapplied .

I went to University of Wales College Swansea School of Engineering - that is the official title on the letterheads !

Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of engineering public lectures?

The purpose of engineering public lectures is to educate and inform the general public about various engineering topics and advancements. These lectures often cover a wide range of subjects, from the latest technologies to the impact of engineering on society.

Who are the target audience for engineering public lectures?

The target audience for engineering public lectures can vary, but they typically include students, engineers, professionals in related fields, and members of the general public who have an interest in engineering.

What topics are typically covered in engineering public lectures?

Engineering public lectures cover a wide range of topics, including but not limited to: new technologies, innovative projects, sustainable design, engineering ethics, and the impact of engineering on society and the environment.

Who are the speakers at engineering public lectures?

The speakers at engineering public lectures are typically experts in their respective fields, such as engineers, researchers, professors, or industry leaders. They are chosen for their knowledge and experience in the specific topic being presented.

Are engineering public lectures free to attend?

In most cases, engineering public lectures are free to attend. However, some events may require registration or a small fee to cover expenses. It is best to check with the event organizers for specific details.