Engineering science B.S. -> physics phD?

In summary: I'm not sure if I can do the self-teaching or not. I'm really worried about not being able to catch up to the physics students.I think it's a good idea to do some self-teaching before you go into grad school. The textbooks you'll be using are usually pretty accessible, and you'll be able to catch up quickly if you need to.
ekrim
Engineering science B.S. --> physics phD?

Hello PF,

I will graduate next spring with a B.S. in engineering science, and will be applying this fall for graduate school. I have found physics much more fulfilling than engineering and would like to enter a physics phD problem. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I've had the background to take the physics GRE. By graduation I will have taken:

Intro sequence, E&M I/II, Modern Physics, P.Chem, Calc sequence, diff eq, PDE, complex analysis, and linear algebra

Is the physics GRE required, and would they even accept me with my course deficit (even a top tier school)? Could I take the missing courses at a state school, and apply later, and what am I missing besides CM and QM? I have a high GPA and a few research projects, if that helps.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Feel free to answer any of them or to scold me for insolence.

-ekrim

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get accepted to a grad school, they will probably stick you in undergrad classes for awhile. Grad schools accept students that don't have an excellent background all the time though, so go for it!

DavidWhitbeck said:
If you get accepted to a grad school, they will probabaly stick you in undergrad classes for awhile. Grad schools accept students that don't have an excellent background all the time though, so go for it!

These students suffer in grad school all the time too. I am not trying to discourage you to go to grad school. But you should pick up an E&M book by jackson to see how grad school is like. If those maths tricks confuses you, you should start some self-teaching

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm really just concerned about getting in, I don't mind being behind. I was thinking of applying for physics at a few places, and for materials science at others in case physics doesn't want me. But if not having a GRE is a death sentence, I'll have to find another way (more courses/masters/selling soul/etc)

ekrim said:
Hello PF,

I will graduate next spring with a B.S. in engineering science, and will be applying this fall for graduate school. I have found physics much more fulfilling than engineering and would like to enter a physics phD problem. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if I've had the background to take the physics GRE. By graduation I will have taken:

Intro sequence, E&M I/II, Modern Physics, P.Chem, Calc sequence, diff eq, PDE, complex analysis, and linear algebra

Is the physics GRE required, and would they even accept me with my course deficit (even a top tier school)? Could I take the missing courses at a state school, and apply later, and what am I missing besides CM and QM? I have a high GPA and a few research projects, if that helps.

Sorry for the barrage of questions. Feel free to answer any of them or to scold me for insolence.

-ekrim

Try reading this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=64966

Zz.

My grad school admits a few engineers into the physics PhD program every year. I have yet to see one complete it - most don't make it past the first year. And my school is a pretty easy program. A few grad schools don't require the physics GRE, but most do. If you do manage to get into one, be prepared to catch up. The grad level courses assume a knowledge of undergrad physics, so you'll have to take a few undergrad courses your first year. You won't be the only grad student taking them - I took a few as well, coming from a liberal arts school (no QM II or E&M II).

A lot of applied physics programs don't require the physics GRE for admission, even at top schools, so you can look into that too.

Good luck - once you make it past the coursework and quals, the rest is easy! (says the girl who still has yet to do her topic defense)

leon1127 said:
These students suffer in grad school all the time too. I am not trying to discourage you to go to grad school. But you should pick up an E&M book by jackson to see how grad school is like. If those maths tricks confuses you, you should start some self-teaching

Well Jackson is not a good example of what grad is like, except for in the sense of hazing and useless work (*cough* edit: of course there is a lot of useful work, but there is drudgery just as there is with any job). Most of the textbooks I had in grad school were actually insightful, well written and not obsessed with applied math gymnastics. Besides the OP already took a ton of applied math and should be ready for Jackson.

No, I think that the problem with the engineering science background is not the math. The problem is not taking enough physics. He has had no qm, no stat mech, no serious upper level modern physics electives. Pchem is better than nothing, but I have a feeling that it's qm and sm that will kick his butt. The problem will surface as soon as he hears something like "it's just a Bose-Einstein condensate..." and he's like "what in the who now?"

Last edited:
DavidWhitbeck said:
Well Jackson is not a good example of what grad is like, except for in the sense of hazing and useless work (*cough* edit: of course there is a lot of useful work, but there is drudgery just as there is with any job). Most of the textbooks I had in grad school were actually insightful, well written and not obsessed with applied math gymnastics. Besides the OP already took a ton of applied math and should be ready for Jackson.

No, I think that the problem with the engineering science background is not the math. The problem is not taking enough physics. He has had no qm, no stat mech, no serious upper level modern physics electives. Pchem is better than nothing, but I have a feeling that it's qm and sm that will kick his butt. The problem will surface as soon as he hears something like "it's just a Bose-Einstein condensate..." and he's like "what in the who now?"

that sounds about right.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It seems as though I won't be able to march in and take physics by storm. Can anyone say anything about taking non-degree seeking courses after graduation vs. a non-thesis masters at an inexpensive university, if I was trying to level the playing field?

Have you tried applying for Applied Physics programs? I think they're more engineering-oriented than regular physics programs.

1. What is the difference between an Engineering Science B.S. and a Physics Ph.D.?

While both degrees involve the study of science and mathematics, an Engineering Science B.S. typically focuses on the application of these concepts in the design and development of technology, while a Physics Ph.D. focuses on the fundamental principles and theories of the physical world.

2. What career opportunities are available for someone with an Engineering Science B.S. and a Physics Ph.D.?

Having both degrees can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. Additionally, individuals with these degrees may also pursue academic careers as professors or researchers.

3. Is it necessary to have both an Engineering Science B.S. and a Physics Ph.D. to work in the field of engineering?

No, it is not necessary to have both degrees to work in engineering. An Engineering Science B.S. is typically sufficient for many engineering positions. However, having a Physics Ph.D. may open up opportunities for more advanced or specialized roles within the field.

4. Can I apply my knowledge from an Engineering Science B.S. to a Physics Ph.D. program?

Yes, many of the concepts and skills learned in an Engineering Science B.S. program can be applied in a Physics Ph.D. program. The strong foundation in math and science provided by an Engineering Science B.S. can also be beneficial for pursuing a Ph.D. in physics.

5. How long does it typically take to complete an Engineering Science B.S. and a Physics Ph.D.?

The time it takes to complete both degrees can vary based on individual circumstances and program requirements. On average, an Engineering Science B.S. takes 4 years to complete, while a Physics Ph.D. can take an additional 4-6 years. Some programs may offer accelerated or combined programs that allow students to complete both degrees in a shorter amount of time.