Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology: My Journey

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's plan to take a 3-year Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology and then transfer to an undergraduate engineering program. They wonder what they can teach themselves during their free time in college to prepare for the more specialized and potentially stressful junior-level courses. Some suggestions are given, such as developing good trig skills, familiarizing oneself with linear algebra and CAD programs, and becoming proficient with a TI89 calculator. The student also expresses interest in mastering CAD.
Raizy
I'm planning on taking a 3-year Advanced Diploma in a college for Electromechanical Engineering Technology. If I do well in this program, then I will transfer to an undergraduate engineering program at some university.

I've been thinking, if the Technology program is equivalent to just some of the basics of engineering, what could I teach myself during the free-time I'll have while in college? It would be so nice if all the self-taught materials will ease off some of the mental stress from the undergraduate program. I know it's going to very stressful based off all the talks going on in the forums, and the fact that I am not gifted in anything. I really have no idea. Do you folks think I should just relax, and just focus on doing well in this course? Maybe spend the time mastering CAD or anything else related to the course, instead of trying to self-teach myself X,Y,Z random topics with no teacher to give me feedback on incorrect understanding?

Here are the topics that I'll be learning:

Term 1

Math (no other details given)
Concepts and Mechanical Applications - CAD1 Applications
Applied Mechanics 1
Health, Work and Safety
Mechanical Drafting Fundamentals
Applied Electricity
Technology: Apocalypse or Eden? (This, I am not sure what it is...)

Term 2
Applied Math
Applied Mechanics 2
Computer Assisted Design for 3D models
Computer Applied Mechanical (??)
Industrial Practices
Engineering Materials and Testing
Practical Circuits

Term 3
Differential Calculus
Mechanicals (??) of Materials
PLC 1
Fundamentals of Robotics
Electro Pneumatics
Fluid Power
Cross College General Education

Term 4
Integral Calculus
Mechanical Power Transformers
PLC 2
Instrumentation and Process Control
CAD/CAM Project
Motors and Controls
Cross College General Education

Term 5
Statistics
Energy Systems 1
Applications Software and Sold Modeling
PLC Applications
Fluid Mechanics
Electronics Devices and Circuits
General Education Elective

Term 6
International Standards
HVAC
Materials and Plant Layout
Systems Integration
Computer Integrated Manufacturing
Industrial Management
Projects and Report

Physics news on Phys.org

Most of your work is sophmore standard. There's not much I can say, because junior level work is obviously a little more specialized. Unless you want to read EE Tech books =)

Honestly I think you should relax, cus you'll be hit hard in your undergrad courses.

Oh an master CAD if you like it =D

djeitnstine said:
Oh an master CAD if you like it =D

Yeah, I think I will. I always fantasize about designing random stuff. I'll re-design anything to my imagination's content; too much video games.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm in my junior year of EE and there are a few things that I would suggest at least familiarizing yourself with for later classes.

-make sure to develop good trig skills, it will save time if they are second nature, lots of "phasor" diagrams will be coming your way later

-get a general understanding of how linear algebra is done, it is used very much in DC and AC circuit analysis classes

-we use a CAD program called PSPICE to approach more complex network analysis problems; may want to familiarize yourself with that, it'd be a big advantage to you if you are a whiz at it by the time you get to university...there's a free version of it linked: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~troppel/91pspstu.exe"

-the program MATLAB is sometimes used to solve large sets of simultaneous linear equations that you set up on paper from a circuit diagram - not often though in my experience.

-get a TI89 with a simultaneous equation solver APP on it, very useful, and in general learn how to use that calculator well and become familiar with the formats: polar form vs rectangular form. Generally, you will want Angle set to Degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology?

An Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology is a post-secondary program that focuses on the integration of electrical and mechanical systems. It prepares students to work in various industries such as manufacturing, aerospace, and robotics.

2. What are the entry requirements for this program?

The entry requirements for an Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology vary depending on the institution. However, most programs require students to have a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as a strong background in math and science.

3. What skills will I learn during this program?

Students in this program will develop a wide range of skills including problem-solving, technical writing, project management, and hands-on experience with various tools and equipment. They will also learn about electrical and mechanical design, maintenance, and troubleshooting.

4. How long does it take to complete an Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology?

The duration of this program varies depending on the institution and whether it is offered full-time or part-time. However, on average, it takes 2-3 years to complete an Advanced Diploma in Electromechanical Engineering Technology.

5. What career opportunities are available after completing this program?

Graduates of this program can pursue a variety of career paths in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and energy. They can work as electromechanical technicians, maintenance engineers, or quality control engineers, among other roles. With additional education and experience, they can also move into managerial positions.