Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Engineers: Is there anything I could self-teach myself? Here is my course outline

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    I'm planning on taking a 3-year Advanced Diploma in a college for Electromechanical Engineering Technology. If I do well in this program, then I will transfer to an undergraduate engineering program at some university.

I've been thinking, if the Technology program is equivalent to just some of the basics of engineering, what could I teach myself during the free-time I'll have while in college? It would be so nice if all the self-taught materials will ease off some of the mental stress from the undergraduate program. I know it's going to very stressful based off all the talks going on in the forums, and the fact that I am not gifted in anything. I really have no idea. Do you folks think I should just relax, and just focus on doing well in this course? Maybe spend the time mastering CAD or anything else related to the course, instead of trying to self-teach myself X,Y,Z random topics with no teacher to give me feedback on incorrect understanding?

Here are the topics that I'll be learning:

Term 1

Math (no other details given)
    Concepts and Mechanical Applications - CAD1 Applications
    Applied Mechanics 1
    Health, Work and Safety
    Mechanical Drafting Fundamentals
    Applied Electricity
    Technology: Apocalypse or Eden? (This, I am not sure what it is...)

Term 2
    Applied Math
    Applied Mechanics 2
    Computer Assisted Design for 3D models
    Computer Applied Mechanical (??)
    Industrial Practices
    Engineering Materials and Testing
    Practical Circuits

Term 3
    Differential Calculus
    Mechanicals (??) of Materials
    PLC 1
    Fundamentals of Robotics
    Electro Pneumatics
    Fluid Power
    Cross College General Education

Term 4
    Integral Calculus
    Mechanical Power Transformers
    PLC 2
    Instrumentation and Process Control
    CAD/CAM Project
    Motors and Controls
    Cross College General Education

Term 5
    Statistics
    Energy Systems 1
    Applications Software and Sold Modeling
    PLC Applications
    Fluid Mechanics
    Electronics Devices and Circuits
    General Education Elective

Term 6
    International Standards
    HVAC
    Materials and Plant Layout
    Systems Integration
    Computer Integrated Manufacturing
    Industrial Management
    Projects and Report

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Re: Engineers: Is there anything I could self-teach myself? Here is my course outlin

Most of your work is sophmore standard. There's not much I can say, because junior level work is obviously a little more specialized. Unless you want to read EE Tech books =)

Honestly I think you should relax, cus you'll be hit hard in your undergrad courses.

Oh an master CAD if you like it =D

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    Re: Engineers: Is there anything I could self-teach myself? Here is my course outlin

Yeah, I think I will. I always fantasize about designing random stuff. I'll re-design anything to my imagination's content; too much video games.

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Jan 29, 2009 #5

I'm in my junior year of EE and there are a few things that I would suggest at least familiarizing yourself with for later classes.

-make sure to develop good trig skills, it will save time if they are second nature, lots of "phasor" diagrams will be coming your way later

-get a general understanding of how linear algebra is done, it is used very much in DC and AC circuit analysis classes

-we use a CAD program called PSPICE to approach more complex network analysis problems; may want to familiarize yourself with that, it'd be a big advantage to you if you are a whiz at it by the time you get to university...there's a free version of it linked: http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~troppel/91pspstu.exe" [Broken]

-the program MATLAB is sometimes used to solve large sets of simultaneous linear equations that you set up on paper from a circuit diagram - not often though in my experience.

-get a TI89 with a simultaneous equation solver APP on it, very useful, and in general learn how to use that calculator well and become familiar with the formats: polar form vs rectangular form. Generally, you will want Angle set to Degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook