Enthelpy equations with pressure/volume assumptions

• Thread starter ikjadoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assumptions
In summary, the person is trying to understand the different equations for enthalpy and has attempted to derive them on their own, but is now confused. They mention the different forms of the enthalpy equation and how they are approaching it from a chemical perspective. They also mention the no-assumption equation and how it relates to the first law of thermodynamics. They are unsure about a redundant term and ask for help understanding how to get from the no-assumption equation to the various assumptions of enthalpy equations.
ikjadoon
I'm trying to learn the various equations of enthalpy with certain assumptions, but I couldn't understand where they came from. So, I tried to derive them myself, but now I'm lost beyond reason.

I'm getting confused between the various forms of the enthalpy equation, depending on constant pressure, constant volume, or constant pressure and constant volume assumptions. And, I'm approaching this chemically, so the only work is expansion work (no non-mechanical types of work).

The no-assumption equation is:

ΔH = ΔU + PΔV + VΔP
Now, via the 1st law of thermodynamics,
ΔH = ΔQ + ΔW + PΔV + VΔP

From this equation, I can have heat transfer in or out, work in or out, volume change, or pressure change, and then calculate change in enthalpy. Wikipedia, however, states there is a redundant term: ΔW = -PΔV. But then, this no-assumption equation can't deal with work in or out or volume change...but that can't be right...

Have I made an implicit assumption when I say ΔW = -PΔV?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
And, how can I get from this no-assumption equation to the various assumptions of enthalpy equations? Please help me understand. Thank you!

1. What is enthalpy and how is it related to pressure and volume?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the work required to change its volume. It is related to pressure and volume through the equation H = U + PV, where H is enthalpy, U is internal energy, P is pressure, and V is volume.

2. How can enthalpy equations be used to calculate changes in pressure and volume?

Enthalpy equations can be used to calculate changes in pressure and volume by rearranging the formula H = U + PV and solving for either P or V. This can be useful in understanding how changes in these variables affect the overall energy of a system.

3. What assumptions are typically made when using enthalpy equations with pressure and volume?

The main assumptions made when using enthalpy equations with pressure and volume are that the system is closed (no mass is exchanged with the surroundings), the process is reversible, and there is no transfer of energy as heat. These assumptions allow for simpler calculations and more accurate results.

4. Can enthalpy equations be used for any type of system?

Enthalpy equations can be used for any type of system as long as the assumptions mentioned above are met. This includes both ideal and non-ideal systems, as well as gases, liquids, and solids.

5. How do changes in pressure and volume affect the enthalpy of a system?

Changes in pressure and volume can affect the enthalpy of a system by altering the internal energy and work components of the enthalpy equation. An increase in pressure, for example, can result in a higher enthalpy if there is no change in volume. Similarly, an increase in volume at constant pressure can lead to a decrease in enthalpy.