Enthelpy of combustion of ethane

• Thread starter nevada2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combustion
In summary, The enthalpy of combustion of ethane is the amount of heat released when one mole of ethane undergoes complete combustion with oxygen under standard conditions. It can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products in the balanced chemical equation. Factors such as temperature, pressure, catalysts, and initial concentrations can affect it. This concept is important in understanding energy changes during combustion reactions and is used in various industries. Compared to other alkanes, ethane has a lower enthalpy of combustion due to its shorter carbon chain, but a higher enthalpy compared to methane due to an additional carbon-carbon bond.
nevada2012
hey guys i am having a really hard time doing enthalpy problems,

i am trying to do this(its not an homework question)

Calculate the enthalpy of formation of ethane (C2H6) given that the enthalpy of combustion of ethane is
-2840kj. DeltaHfH2O(1) = -286 kg/mol Delta HfCO2 (g) =-394 kg/per

is the answer -206?

this is what i did

-286 X -2840/-394

if not can you please give me step by step

Chemistry news on Phys.org

shouln't you first write out the reaction-equation ??
I wonder which textbook you are using ??

1. What is enthalpy of combustion of ethane?

The enthalpy of combustion of ethane is the amount of heat released when one mole of ethane undergoes complete combustion with oxygen under standard conditions.

2. How is the enthalpy of combustion of ethane calculated?

The enthalpy of combustion of ethane can be calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants (ethane and oxygen) from the enthalpy of the products (carbon dioxide and water) in the balanced chemical equation.

3. What factors can affect the enthalpy of combustion of ethane?

The enthalpy of combustion of ethane can be affected by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the reaction, the presence of catalysts, and the initial concentrations of reactants.

4. Why is the enthalpy of combustion of ethane an important concept?

The enthalpy of combustion of ethane is an important concept because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during combustion reactions. It is also used in various industries, such as fuel production and energy production, to determine the efficiency of processes and to predict the amount of energy released.

5. How does the enthalpy of combustion of ethane compare to other alkanes?

The enthalpy of combustion of ethane is lower than other alkanes with longer carbon chains. This is because ethane has fewer carbon-carbon bonds that need to be broken during combustion, resulting in less energy being released. However, the enthalpy of combustion of ethane is higher than that of methane, the simplest alkane, due to the presence of an additional carbon-carbon bond.