Enthelpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas

In summary, the enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas is the heat energy released or absorbed during the reaction, typically represented by ΔH and measured in kJ/mol. The chemical equation for the reaction is 2N2H4(g) → N2(g) + 2H2(g), meaning that for every two molecules of N2H4 gas that decompose, one molecule of N2 gas and two molecules of H2 gas are produced. The enthalpy change is exothermic, meaning heat is released into the surroundings, and can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and catalysts. It can be experimentally determined using calorimetry and compared to the theoretical value
lizgore94
I am trying to determine the change of heat for:

N2H4(g) -> N2(g) + 2H2(g)

Here is what I did and what I got the correct answer is -86.0 which I am clearly not getting

[(163)+ (2*436)] - [(4*391) + (163)] = -692

thanks for any help!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Where have all these numbers come from?

1. What is the enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas?

The enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas is the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during the reaction. It is typically represented by the symbol ΔH and is measured in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

2. What is the chemical equation for the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas?

The chemical equation for the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas is 2N2H4(g) → N2(g) + 2H2(g). This means that for every two molecules of N2H4 gas that decompose, one molecule of N2 gas and two molecules of H2 gas are produced.

3. Is the enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas exothermic or endothermic?

The enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas is exothermic, meaning that it releases heat energy into the surroundings. This is because the products (N2 and H2) have a lower enthalpy than the reactant (N2H4).

4. What factors can affect the enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas?

The enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. A higher temperature can increase the rate of reaction and result in a larger enthalpy change.

5. How is the enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas experimentally determined?

The enthalpy of the decomposition reaction of N2H4 gas can be experimentally determined using calorimetry. This involves measuring the temperature change of the reaction mixture and using it to calculate the enthalpy change. The experimental value can then be compared to the theoretical value calculated using thermodynamic data.