Entropy Change: 12.8g Ice Cube & 18.1g Water Evaporation

In summary, the entropy change of a 12.8 g ice cube completely melting in a bucket of water just above the freezing point of water is unknown without knowing the final temperature (Tf) and initial temperature (Ti). Similarly, the entropy change of a 18.1 g spoonful of water evaporating on a hot plate above the boiling point of water is also unknown without knowing Tf and Ti. The equation for calculating entropy change in both cases is deltaS=m*c*ln(Tf/Ti).
tigers4

Homework Statement

a.) What is the entropy change of a 12.8 g ice cube that melts completely in a bucket of water whose temperature is just above the freezing point of water?

b.) What is the entropy change of a 18.1 g spoonful of water that evaporates completely on a hot plate whose temperature is slightly above the boiling point of water

Homework Equations

deltaS=Q/T
Q=nCv[tex]\DeltaT[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

deltaS=m*c*ln(Tf/Ti) but i don't know what Tf or Ti should be

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. i tried to look for the answer but the only thing i can find is deltaH which i don't think will help.

What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that indicates the amount of energy that is unavailable for work.

How is entropy change related to the melting of an ice cube?

When an ice cube melts, its molecules gain more freedom to move around, increasing the disorder or entropy of the system. This results in a positive entropy change.

What is the entropy change when a 12.8g ice cube melts?

The exact entropy change will depend on the temperature and pressure of the system, but in general, the melting of a 12.8g ice cube will result in a positive entropy change.

How does the evaporation of 18.1g of water affect entropy change?

When water evaporates, its molecules gain even more freedom to move around, resulting in a larger increase in entropy compared to melting. Therefore, the evaporation of 18.1g of water will result in a larger positive entropy change.

Is entropy change reversible?

In theory, entropy change can be reversed, but it would require an input of energy and a highly controlled environment. In practical terms, most entropy changes are irreversible and contribute to the overall increase in disorder in the universe.