1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Epsilon-delta proof for function with polar coordinates

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a subtask. I was given a function, and then asked to convert it to polar coordinates. So I did, and I also determined the limit. However they ask me to do an epsilon-delta proof.
    The function is:
    [tex]f(x,y)=\frac{x^6 + y^8 + x^4y^5}{x^6 + y^8}[/tex], which converted to polar coordinates should be: [tex]f(rcos\theta, rsin\theta) = 1 + \frac{(rcos\theta)^4 (rsin\theta)^5}{(rcos\theta)^6 + (rsin\theta)^8}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]0 < r < \delta \to |f(rcos\theta,rsin\theta) - L| < \epsilon[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that switching to polar coordinates and watch as r approaches zero would be enough? Is this just a straight-forward epsilon-delta proof? I could anyway need some help. I was never good at this.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2
    I assume you are supposed to compute the limit of [tex]f[/tex] at the origin?

It is a straightforward epsilon-delta proof, but since you don't give details about what you've done so far, it's not clear what more you need to write. The basic approach you describe (watch as [tex]r[/tex] approaches zero) is correct.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3
    Ah, yes. I am to find the limit at the origin.

I don't know exactly where to begin. I mean, straight from the definition, I have to prove that:
    [tex] 0 < r < \delta \to |\frac{(rcos\theta)^4(rsin\theta)^5}{(rcos\theta)^6 + (rsin\theta)^8}| < \epsilon[/tex]. What next?

5. Apr 20, 2010 #4
    Well, you need to find a suitable [tex]\delta[/tex] which makes that implication true. If you didn't get that part, you should review how to do epsilon-delta proofs.

Now, what you need to do is make a fraction small. That usually means simultaneously making the numerator small and the denominator big (or at least not too small). Try to fill in a statement that looks like this:

Set [tex]\delta = [/tex](some expression involving [tex]\varepsilon[/tex]); then when [tex]0 < r < \delta[/tex], we have [tex]|(r \cos\theta)^4 (r \sin\theta)^5| < N[/tex] and [tex]|(r \cos\theta)^6 + (r\sin\theta)^8| > D[/tex] where [tex]N[/tex] and [tex]D[/tex] are expressions chosen so that [tex]N/D < \varepsilon[/tex]. The setting for [tex]\delta[/tex] is actually the last thing you figure out.

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5
    So, can I choose delta to be what ever I would like?

7. Apr 20, 2010 #6
    No; the correct choice of [tex]\delta[/tex] is something that emerges at the end from your computations.

You should probably consult a tutor or a more comprehensive guide to writing epsilon-delta limit proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook