Proving Epsilon-Limit for a Sequence with Algebraic Manipulation

In summary, using the hint given, we set x_n = (a_n - 1)/(a_n + 1) and solve for the limit of x_n as n approaches infinity. Then, using basic limit rules, we can show that the limit of a_n also exists and is equal to 1.
Unassuming
[tex]Suppose $\lim_n \frac{a_n -1}{a_n +1} = 0$. Prove that $\lim_n a_n = 1$.[/tex]

I am trying to do the algebra so that -a_n < ?? < a_n , but I am having trouble. Am I going about this correctly?

I have also tried to solve each separate side of the inequality. I get a_n < (e+1)/(1-e), but this is not quite fitting.

Can somebody give me a clue please. Thanks

Edit: There is a hint in the book that says to set,

[tex]\(x_{n}=\frac{a_n-1}{a_n+1}\)[/tex] and then solve.

I have done this but I don't know what to do next.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I presume the hint said set [itex]x_n= (a_n-1)/(a_n+ 1)[/itex] and solve for xn. When you did that what did you get? What is the limit of that as x goes to 0?

I solved for a_n and I then took the lim of both sides so that

lim a_n = lim ( -x_n -1 ) / (x_n -1 ), then it was pretty straightforward.

Assuming I can take the lim of both sides. Can I do that?

Yes, of course. Just use the basic "rules" for limits. If the limits of an and bn exist, and the limit of bn is not 0, then the limit of an/bn exists.

What is the epsilon-limit for a sequence?

The epsilon-limit for a sequence is the smallest value that the terms of the sequence get arbitrarily close to. In other words, it is the limit of the sequence as it approaches infinity.

Why is it important to prove the epsilon-limit for a sequence?

Proving the epsilon-limit for a sequence is important because it allows us to determine the behavior and convergence of the sequence. It also helps us to understand the relationship between the terms of the sequence and their limit.

What is the process for proving epsilon-limit for a sequence with algebraic manipulation?

The process for proving epsilon-limit for a sequence with algebraic manipulation involves showing that the difference between the terms of the sequence and their limit can be made smaller than any given value (epsilon) by manipulating the terms algebraically.

What are some common algebraic manipulations used in proving epsilon-limit for a sequence?

Some common algebraic manipulations used in proving epsilon-limit for a sequence include factoring, finding common denominators, and using algebraic identities such as the difference of squares or cubes.

What are some tips for successfully proving epsilon-limit for a sequence with algebraic manipulation?

Some tips for successfully proving epsilon-limit for a sequence with algebraic manipulation include carefully choosing the starting point of the proof, keeping track of algebraic manipulations performed, and using algebraic properties and identities effectively. It is also important to clearly and logically explain each step of the proof.