Equal to zero if angular velocity is constant

In summary: if your surface is flat in that manner, then there is no normal acceleration.what is the normal acceleration doing?
darkmagic

Homework Statement

Which is equal to zero if angular velocity is constant, normal or tangential acceleration?
The one with zero angular velocity is a crank. The crank moves at a fixed point.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

darkmagic said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So which do you think it is and why?

I think it is the tangential one because that means it is a uniform motion but continuously changing speed? is that correct?

darkmagic said:
I think it is the tangential one because that means it is a uniform motion but continuously changing speed? is that correct?

But it is not changing speed, the angular velocity is the same.

At different points in the circular motion, if you draw a tangent to the circle, you will get the direction of velocity right? Does this tangent always point in the same direction?

sorry it should be constant velocity. changing direction but constant speed, right?

darkmagic said:
sorry it should be constant velocity. changing direction but constant speed, right?

Yes. So would the tangential velocity be changing is α is defined as α=dω/dt ? Since the direction of the tangential velocity is changing what does that say about acceleration?

velocity is changing. If that is changing, acceleration is also changing?

darkmagic said:
velocity is changing. If that is changing, acceleration is also changing?

Right so if you were to draw the two velocity tangents and then find the change in velocity, it would point towards the center of rotation. So which acceleration is zero?

Normal acceleration is always towards the fixed point. The normal one?

darkmagic said:
Normal acceleration is always towards the fixed point. The normal one?

That would be correct.

Can you give a summary on how to determine which is zero among the two in different situations?

How can I determine the tangential acceleration if I have given the angular velocity?

darkmagic said:
Can you give a summary on how to determine which is zero among the two in different situations?

How can I determine the tangential acceleration if I have given the angular velocity?

tangential acceleration is related to α by atangential=αr

so, if normal is zero, then tangential equals the angular acceleration. I only depend on the tangential and normal formula.

darkmagic said:
so, if normal is zero, then tangential equals the angular acceleration. I only depend on the tangential and normal formula.

no no, the only way for your normal acceleration to be zero is if the object is not spinning. Remember a=ω2r

so normal is zero in a sliding block?

darkmagic said:
so normal is zero in a sliding block?

You mean a sliding block on a curved surface? No, the normal is not zero. In that case there is still a normal acceleration.

i mean in a mechanism, in a flat surface. the sliding block has zero normal? I'll be back.

darkmagic said:
i mean in a mechanism, in a flat surface. the sliding block has zero normal? I'll be back.

Once your object is basically rotating with respect to some point, there will be a normal acceleration.

I mean in a mechanism, the sliding block, the normal in a flat surface is zero?

darkmagic said:
I mean in a mechanism, the sliding block, the normal in a flat surface is zero?

ok, what sort of mechanism are you talking about?

its only a sample, only a schematic drawing.

darkmagic said:
its only a sample, only a schematic drawing.

Can you post a picture of the schematic?

its only a sketch angular velocity at 2 is constant

Attachments

• sample.JPG
    sample.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 372

darkmagic said:
its only a sketch angular velocity at 2 is constant

If your surface is flat in that manner, then there is no normal acceleration.

what is the normal acceleration doing?

What is the definition of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It is typically represented by the Greek letter omega (ω) and is measured in radians per second.

How is angular velocity related to linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are related through the equation v = ωr, where v represents linear velocity, ω represents angular velocity, and r represents the radius of the rotating object.

What does it mean for angular velocity to be constant?

If angular velocity is constant, it means that the rate of change of angular displacement remains the same over time. In other words, the rotating object is moving at a constant speed and in a uniform circular motion.

Why does angular velocity equal to zero if an object is not rotating?

If an object is not rotating, its angular displacement is not changing over time. This means that the rate of change of angular displacement, or angular velocity, is zero.

Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of the chosen reference direction. A positive angular velocity indicates a rotation in the same direction as the reference direction.