Creating Equations: Homework Help

• Thread starter Ugnius
  • Start date
In summary: The answer then is to review the basic rules of algebra, how to apply identical operations on both sides of an equation so that it remains in balance. These basic operations can be applied to any number of variables, not just three.
Ugnius

Homework Statement

I come out with problem that i can't remake equation , what i mean by that is if i have equation with more then 3 units i don't know how to replace them

Homework Equations

Lets say we use piramid law or 6 3 2 on counting mass
M(6) = q(3) * V(2) and bla bla bla
but if we have n(eff.precent) = Nt/qm how to get N?
)

The Attempt at a Solution

Have no clue

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ugnius,

I'm having difficulty interpreting your question. Are you trying to isolate (solve for) a particular variable in a given expression? Something else? I don't understand the reference to "piramid law" (presumably "pyramid law"), is it a significant part of the problem? Can you provide more detail in your description?

Im talking about this piramid method , works for every equation with 3 units

Attachments

• 12345.png
    12345.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 367
Ugnius said:
Im talking about this piramid method , works for every equation with 3 units
Okay, so the "piramid law" is a graphical method to represent the algebraic relationships between three variables, such as your M, D and V:

given ##M = D \times V## then ##D = M/V## and ##V = M/D##.

If you want to "solve" for anyone variable, just place your thumb over it on the chart and read off the required operation between the other two variables by their positions in the chart. The chart is just a way to represent the underlying algebra. It might be a handy device for beginners learning abut Ohm's Law, for example:

upload_2016-11-29_7-55-29.png

So are you asking if there are similar graphical devices for situations where there are more than three variables, or are you simply asking how, in general, to isolate a given variable when the equation involves more than three variables?

Yes i do, i get lost when there are more than 3

Ugnius said:
The answer then is to review the basic rules of algebra, how to apply identical operations on both sides of an equation so that it remains in balance.

This is not a matter of physics, it is basic math. The topic is better suited to the Precalculus Mathematics Homework forum, so I shall move the thread there.

My children have just been taught the following rule/method for rearrangeing equations...

"Whatever you do to one side of an equation you must also do to the other"

For example if we start with your..

n = Nt/qm

then to get it in the form

N = ?

we must "get rid of" the t/qm on the right leaving just the N. Let's start by moving the "t" over to the left. To do that we divide both sides by t and you get

n/t = Nt/tqm

now t/t = 1 so the t on the right "cancels" to give

n/t = 1*N/qm = N/qm

Now we need to move the qm so this time we multiply both sides by qm to give..

nqm/t = Nqm/qm

Now the qm on the right cancels to give...

nqm/t = N
which is the same as
N = nqm/t

With practice you can do this in one step by multiplying both sides by qm/t.

but if i use efficenty precent (n) should i use the number which is 0.28 or precent 0.28*100% = 28%?

Ugnius said:
but if i use efficenty precent (n) should i use the number which is 0.28 or precent 0.28*100% = 28%?
Use the decimal equivalent -- 0.28 -- not the percent value.

gneill said:
Okay, so the "piramid law" is a graphical method to represent the algebraic relationships between three variables, such as your M, D and V:

given ##M = D \times V## then ##D = M/V## and ##V = M/D##.

If you want to "solve" for anyone variable, just place your thumb over it on the chart and read off the required operation between the other two variables by their positions in the chart. The chart is just a way to represent the underlying algebra. It might be a handy device for beginners learning abut Ohm's Law, for example:
109635.png

In my opinion, this is silly, as it attempts to replace thinking by rote memorization.
In the equation V = IR, if you want to isolate I (solve for I), divide both sides of the equation by R. This results in V/R = I.
If you want to solve for R, divide both sides of the equation by I, resulting in V/I = R.
gneill said:
So are you asking if there are similar graphical devices for situations where there are more than three variables, or are you simply asking how, in general, to isolate a given variable when the equation involves more than three variables?

Ugnius said:
I've never seen any visual devices with more than three variables. In an equation with four or more variables, the use of basic algebra techniques is your best bet.

Likes mfb

1. What is the purpose of creating equations in math?

The purpose of creating equations in math is to represent a relationship between different quantities or variables. It helps in solving problems and finding unknown values.

2. How do I identify the variables in an equation?

Variables in an equation are represented by letters such as x, y, or z. They are used to represent unknown values or changing quantities.

3. What are the steps for solving an equation?

The steps for solving an equation are:

1. Combine like terms
  2. Isolate the variable on one side of the equation
  3. Use inverse operations to solve for the variable
  4. Check the solution by substituting it back into the original equation

4. How do I know if my equation is balanced?

An equation is balanced when both sides are equal. This means that the same operations have been performed on both sides and the values are equal.

5. Can I use the same rules for solving equations with fractions?

Yes, the same rules apply for solving equations with fractions. You can eliminate fractions by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common denominator (LCD). Remember to simplify and check your solution.