Equation for calculating o-ring compression

In summary, the equation for calculating o-ring compression is C = (OD - ID) / OD, and it is important because it ensures a proper seal and can affect the performance of the o-ring. This equation can be applied to all types of o-rings, but other factors such as material, temperature, and pressure can also affect compression. While the equation provides a good estimate, it is recommended to test the o-ring in the actual application for accuracy.
Spoolx
For whatever reason this equation is slipping by me, I don't want to use a calculator though because I am building a spreadsheet.

Can someone please tell me the equation to calculate o-ring compression?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
O-rings are used in many different situations. You will need to be more specific about your application.

An O-ring usually seals because of the fluid pressure difference holding the ring against a wall, not because it is compressed.

1. What is the equation used for calculating o-ring compression?

The equation for calculating o-ring compression is C = (OD - ID) / OD, where C is the compression percentage, OD is the outside diameter of the o-ring, and ID is the inside diameter of the o-ring.

2. Why is it important to calculate o-ring compression?

Calculating o-ring compression is important because it ensures that the o-ring is properly seated and creates a seal to prevent leaks. It also helps determine the amount of force needed to compress the o-ring, which can affect the overall performance and longevity of the seal.

3. Can the equation for calculating o-ring compression be applied to all types of o-rings?

Yes, the equation can be applied to all types of o-rings as long as the dimensions of the o-ring (OD and ID) are known.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect o-ring compression?

Yes, other factors such as the material and durometer (hardness) of the o-ring, the temperature and pressure of the application, and the surface finish of the mating surfaces can also affect o-ring compression.

5. How accurate is the equation for calculating o-ring compression?

The equation provides a good estimate of o-ring compression, but the actual compression may vary slightly due to factors such as material properties and tolerances. It is always recommended to test the o-ring in the actual application to ensure proper compression and sealing.