Equation for Determining the Velocity of a Proton in a Cyclotron?

In summary: The larger the device, the more protons that can be accelerated at once. In summary, a cyclotron is a device that uses an electrostatic force to accelerate particles. By knowing the mass, voltage, and frequency of the particles being accelerated, one can calculate the velocity of the proton in question.
GuyWQuestion
Hello,

I'm always seeing the energy of a particle being accelerated in a cyclotron expressed in MeV or GeV. How do I determine the velocity of a proton in m/s ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up (or Google for) the relativistic kinetic energy formula and solve it for v. First convert electron volts to joules: 1 eV = 1.60e-19 J.

GuyWQuestion said:
Hello,

I'm always seeing the energy of a particle being accelerated in a cyclotron expressed in MeV or GeV. How do I determine the velocity of a proton in m/s ?

Thanks!

Id base the calculation on mass, charge (e) Voltage and Magnetic field strength (T). the cyclotron is imparting momentum to a massed particle with charge q. accel is based on q while energy and velocity are related to both mass and acceleration due to the electrostatic forces.

to calculate electrostatic forces

F = k (q1q2/r^2) -- same as grav eq, different constants

Charge of cas column

bulk charge = n * q ( n Avogadro etc)

n = q * k * v (approx).

Determining the total maximum ionized charge of the gas in the cyclotron is now related to the frequency and mass of the involved proton cloud

E = 1/2* Moment of inertia * radians per sec (w) ^ 2 (rotational kinetic energy of synchrotron)

now one can solve for tangential average velocity of the proton cloud using the radians per second times arc length relation to solve for an approximate

w = f * 2 PI

V = w * r

I'm hoping at least a few hundred meters per second...that will start to get into a few tens of mega joules.

The magnetic field lines in this case will point through the center of the device with the protons orbiting that. To achieve a good design ( I am working on this mentally). The device is essentially a scaled up atom where a proton cloud replaces the electron. The Dees create the alternating high voltage electrostatic field, while a central coil provides a magnetic "pivot" for the charged particles to rotate around.

Last edited:

FAQ: Equation for Determining the Velocity of a Proton in a Cyclotron?

1. How is the velocity of a proton in a cyclotron determined?

The velocity of a proton in a cyclotron is determined using the equation v = √(2qV/m), where v is the velocity in meters per second, q is the charge of the proton, V is the accelerating potential in volts, and m is the mass of the proton in kilograms.

2. What is the relationship between the velocity and the accelerating potential in a cyclotron?

The velocity of a proton in a cyclotron is directly proportional to the accelerating potential. This means that as the accelerating potential increases, the velocity of the proton also increases.

3. How does the mass of the proton affect its velocity in a cyclotron?

The mass of the proton has an inverse relationship with its velocity in a cyclotron. This means that as the mass of the proton increases, its velocity decreases.

4. Can the equation for determining the velocity of a proton in a cyclotron be applied to other particles?

Yes, the equation can be applied to other particles with a positive charge, such as alpha particles. However, the values for charge and mass will be different for each type of particle.

5. What are the units of measurement used in the equation for determining the velocity of a proton in a cyclotron?

The units of measurement used in the equation are meters per second for velocity, coulombs for charge, volts for accelerating potential, and kilograms for mass.