Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation for simple harmonic motion

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1

dom

i was just wondering if anybody knew where i could find the equation for simple harmonic motion (SHM). I have found loads but not the right one. i need the one that starts... y=e(^-3wnt)*Asin(wdt)+(Asin(wt)/SQRT(l-(w^2/wn^2)^2+... anyone got any ideas? got assignment to hand into uni tomorrow and i need it bad :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2
    :confused: I never saw any equation for SHM that starts like that. The ones I know are:
    [tex]x(t) = A\cos (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
    [tex]v(t) = -A\omega \sin (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
    [tex]a(t) = -A\omega ^2 \cos (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

4. Mar 30, 2004 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I looks to me like you have a specific solution to a specific problem. It appears to be a case of damped ossiliations, but in no way is it an equation that you will find on the web. If you could post the specifics of the problem it is a solution to we may be able to help you. We need the original DE and the initial conditions.

5. Mar 30, 2004 #4

dom

its an equasion for the vibration of a ball on a spring, i am comparing my excel model to the one i made on a program called working drawing.

6. Mar 30, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The equation you posted is the solution to a Differential Equation with initial values. Without this information, I do not see how we can reproduce the solution. What are the initial conditions, what is the damping function. (your solution is damped) Is there a driving function? Without these details we cannot reproduce the solution.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?