Equation for simple harmonic motion

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding an equation for simple harmonic motion (SHM) that starts with y=e(^-3wnt)*Asin(wdt)+(Asin(wt)/SQRT(l-(w^2/wn^2)^2+... The participants discussed various equations for SHM and its solutions, but none of them matched the given equation. They also mentioned the importance of initial conditions and a damping function in reproducing the solution. Without these details, it was not possible to find an exact match for the given equation.
dom
i was just wondering if anybody knew where i could find the equation for simple harmonic motion (SHM). I have found loads but not the right one. i need the one that starts... y=e(^-3wnt)*Asin(wdt)+(Asin(wt)/SQRT(l-(w^2/wn^2)^2+... anyone got any ideas? got assignment to hand into uni tomorrow and i need it bad :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
:confused: I never saw any equation for SHM that starts like that. The ones I know are:
[tex]x(t) = A\cos (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
[tex]v(t) = -A\omega \sin (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
[tex]a(t) = -A\omega ^2 \cos (\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

I looks to me like you have a specific solution to a specific problem. It appears to be a case of damped ossiliations, but in no way is it an equation that you will find on the web. If you could post the specifics of the problem it is a solution to we may be able to help you. We need the original DE and the initial conditions.

its an equation for the vibration of a ball on a spring, i am comparing my excel model to the one i made on a program called working drawing.

The equation you posted is the solution to a Differential Equation with initial values. Without this information, I do not see how we can reproduce the solution. What are the initial conditions, what is the damping function. (your solution is damped) Is there a driving function? Without these details we cannot reproduce the solution.

Last edited:

What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What does each term in the equation for simple harmonic motion represent?

The term x represents the displacement from equilibrium, which is the distance from the equilibrium position. A is the amplitude, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. ω is the angular frequency, which is the rate at which the motion repeats itself. φ is the phase angle, which represents where the motion begins in its cycle.

How is the equation for simple harmonic motion different from other equations of motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is different from other equations of motion because it describes a specific type of motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This type of motion results in a sinusoidal pattern and is a characteristic of systems such as springs and pendulums.

What are the units of the variables in the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The units of displacement (x) and amplitude (A) are meters (m). The units of angular frequency (ω) are radians per second (rad/s), and the units of the phase angle (φ) are radians (rad).

Can the equation for simple harmonic motion be used to describe all types of motion?

No, the equation for simple harmonic motion can only be used to describe motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, require different equations.