1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation help

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1
    A ball is droped from a stadium.It hits the ground 2.29 seconds later.How high is the stadium?Do I use this equation?.5at^2(Thant is wrong isnt it?) How fast is the ball going when it hits the ground?(what equation do I use on this one?)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

I'm assuming no initial speed, then the height h is given by:

[tex]h = h_0 - \frac{{gt^2 }}{2}[/tex]

Here, [itex]h_0[/itex] is the initial height, so what you are looking for. You choose h = 0, because that's where it hits the ground. Then fill in t and g and solve for [itex]h_0[/itex].

4. Sep 6, 2005 #3
    In this case would the answer be about 25.7 meters? And How do I tell How fast the marble is going?

5. Sep 6, 2005 #4

TD

Homework Helper

That seems to be correct yes.

For the other question, use a relation between acceleration, speed and time. If time is in s and acceleration in m/s², what would give speed (m/s)?

6. Sep 6, 2005 #5
    would that equation be the y='s one?

7. Sep 6, 2005 #6

TD

Homework Helper

I was thinking about v = at

8. Sep 6, 2005 #7
    I have another question.If something is dropped and hits the ground one second later how high is it? With that equation I got 7.1.Why is it not 9.8 meters?

9. Sep 6, 2005 #8

TD

Homework Helper

Because it's not the speed which is 9.8m/s but the acceleration which is 9.8m/s².
    Are you sure you got 7.1 though?

10. Sep 6, 2005 #9
    No I got 4.9 sorry

11. Sep 6, 2005 #10
    Would the ball be going 22m/s before it hit the ground?

12. Sep 6, 2005 #11

TD

Homework Helper

That is correct.

You see, an acceleration of 9.8m/s² means that after a full second, the speed has increased 9.8m/s. So when dropping something with no initial speed, it only reaches the speed of 9.8m/s after the full second, so when it hits the ground in your example.

The avarage speed was 9.8/2 = 4.9, exactly what you found :smile:

That seems correct, approximately.

13. Sep 6, 2005 #12
    Thank You so much TD

14. Sep 6, 2005 #13

TD

Homework Helper

No problem :smile:

15. Sep 6, 2005 #14
    Say someone threw the ball up and it didnt hit the ground until 3.53 seconds later how do I find out the ending velocity?What if it was thrown down and hit the ground 1.81 seconds later?

16. Sep 6, 2005 #15

TD

Homework Helper

Thrown up would require the initial height and thrown down the initial speed, unless there is none.

Perhaps someone else can help, I'm logging off. 2.50 AM here, good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?