Transform Equation into Matrix

• Thread starter sourlemon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the equation x* = C\frac{(xcos(t)+ysin(t))/cos(s)}{f-xtan(s)cos(t)-ytan(s)sin(t)} can be transformed into a matrix using partial fraction, but the equation y* = C\frac{-xsin(t)+ycos(t)}{f-xtan(s)cos(t)-ytan(s)sin(t)} is more difficult to transform.
sourlemon
I have the following equations:

[tex]x* = C\frac{(xcos(t)+ysin(t))/cos(s)}{f-xtan(s)cos(t)-ytan(s)sin(t)}[/tex]

[tex]y* = C\frac{-xsin(t)+ycos(t)}{f-xtan(s)cos(t)-ytan(s)sin(t)}[/tex]

I want to transform it into a matrix so that the x and y are separated.

I can easily separate the numerator. But I'm having trouble separating the denominator. I tried to do it using partial fraction, but I don't know what to do with the f. I got as far as taking tan(s) out.

[tex]f-xtan(s)cos(t)-ytan(s)sin(t) = f-tan(s)(xcos(t)-ysin(t))[/tex]

I don't even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sourlemon! :wink:

(I haven't actually tried this, but …)

does it help if you rotate, and put p = xcos(t) + ysin(t), q = ycos(t) - xsin(t)? :smile:

thank you for your quick response tim. I don't exactly understand what you mean though. As you said, if I set the variable to p and q, I would have the following.

[tex]x* = C\frac{p/cos(s)}{f-tan(s)(p)}[/tex]

[tex]y* = C\frac{q}{f-tan(s)(p)}[/tex]

But how would that help me extract x and y out of the equation with the denominator being f-tan(s)p. This is the result I want. (I don't know how to write matrix in here, so I'll write it in MATLAB format, hopefully you'll understand.)

[x*; y*] = [matrix] [x; y]

Last edited:
Hi sourlemon! :wink:

(again, I haven't tried it, but …)

the next step would be finding p* and q* (and maybe tidying a bit by multiplying top and bottom by cos(s)) :smile:

thank you again for your quick response tim. You don't have to worry about it working or not, I'm just happy you're pointing me to a direction. I hope you won't lose your patience with me as I'm slow with this. But can I ask what is p* and q*?

[tex]x* = \frac{Cp}{fcos(s)-tan(s)(p)cos(s)}[/tex]

[tex]y* = \frac{Cq}{f-tan(s)(p)}[/tex]

sourlemon said:
thank you again for your quick response tim. You don't have to worry about it working or not, I'm just happy you're pointing me to a direction. I hope you won't lose your patience with me as I'm slow with this. But can I ask what is p* and q*?

Sure! We defined p = xcos(t) + ysin(t), q = ycos(t) - xsin(t),

so p* = x*cos(t) + y*sin(t), q* = y*cos(t) - x*sin(t). :smile:

Thank you tim. So now do I substitute x* and y* in terms of p* and q*?

Tim, is this a special type of substitution? Is there an example that I can see?

Last edited:
To get p*, just multiply the equation for x* by cos(t), and the equation for y* by sin(t), and add.

And similarly to get q*.

Thank you again for your patience, Tim :) Hopefully I followed your instruction correctly. This is what I got for p* and q*.

[tex]p* = \frac{Cpcos(t) + Cqsin(t)cos(s)}{cos(s)(f-tan(s)(p))}[/tex]

[tex]q* = \frac{Cqcos(t)cos(s) - CPsin(t)}{cos(s)(f-tan(s)(p))}[/tex]

And if I multiply the cos(s)

[tex]p* = \frac{Cpcos(t) + Cqsin(t)cos(s)}{fcos(s)-psin(s)}[/tex]

[tex]q* = \frac{Cqcos(t)cos(s) - Cpsin(t)}{fcos(s)-psin(s)}[/tex]

So what do I do next?

1. What is the purpose of transforming an equation into a matrix?

Transforming an equation into a matrix allows us to represent a system of equations or mathematical relationships in a more efficient and organized way. It also allows us to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication on the equations more easily.

2. How do you transform a linear equation into a matrix?

To transform a linear equation into a matrix, we first identify the variables and coefficients in the equation. The variables will become the columns of the matrix, and the coefficients will become the elements in each row. We then arrange the coefficients in the corresponding rows and columns to create the matrix.

3. What is the difference between a coefficient matrix and an augmented matrix?

A coefficient matrix contains only the coefficients of the variables in a system of equations. An augmented matrix, on the other hand, includes both the coefficients and the constants of the equations. We use augmented matrices when solving systems of equations using the Gaussian elimination method.

4. Can you transform a non-linear equation into a matrix?

Yes, we can transform non-linear equations into matrices. However, the resulting matrix will not be a coefficient matrix since non-linear equations do not have constant coefficients. Instead, we can represent the non-linear equation using a matrix with the variables as columns and the terms of the equation as elements in each row.

5. How can transforming an equation into a matrix help with solving systems of equations?

By transforming equations into matrices, we can use matrix operations such as row reduction and matrix inversion to solve systems of equations. This method is often more efficient and less prone to errors than solving equations algebraically. It also allows us to easily solve larger systems of equations with multiple variables.