What is the equation of a parabola?

• Thread starter Jshua Monkoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the equation of a parabola is y=2x^2-2x+3. The equation of the directrix is y=p and the distance from the vertex to the equation of the directrix is (k,h).
Jshua Monkoe

Homework Statement

i am given the equation of a parabola to be y=2x^2-2x+3 and asked to sketch the parabola

Homework Equations

y=1/2(l-p)(x-k)^2+(l+p)/2
(l+p)/2=h
vertex is at (k,h)
equation of the directrix is y=p
distance[(k,h) to y=p]=distance[(x,y) to (k,h)]

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) completing the squares for y=2x^2-2x+3 i get
y=2(x-1/2)^2+2
=>k=1/2 &
h=2 &
a=2

.'. vertex is at (1,2)

(2) (l+p)/2=h=2 ...eqn1
1/(2(l-p))=a=2...eqn2

making l the subject in eqn.1 i get
l=4-p
substituting in eqn2 i get
1/(2(4-p-p))=2
=>1/(8-4p)=2
=>1=16-8p
.'.p=-15/8~-1.08
=>eqn of directrix is y=-1

(3)given the vertex is at (1,2)
F is at (1,3) taking (1,-1) from the directrix
from (2,4) to F is sq. root of 2 units
from (2,4) to (1,-1) is sq. root of 26 units
AND THIS ISNT A PARABOLA
PLEASE, WHERE HAVE I WENT WRONG BUDDIES?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jshua Monkoe! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Jshua Monkoe said:
(1) completing the squares for y=2x^2-2x+3 i get
y=2(x-1/2)^2+2

Nooooo :redface:

You have y = 2(x2 - x + ?) + 3. Remember that whatever you add into complete the square is multiplied by 2, so you'll need to take that into account and subtract the same amount from three to keep your expressions equal.

y=2x2-2x+3

When you complete the square, you must factor out the leading co-efficient, which in this case is 2 from the terms with the variable. The 3 however will stay outside of the brackets.

y=2(x2-x)+3
y=2(x2-x+0.25-0.25)+3
Bring out the negative 0.25 after multiplying it by the leading co-efficient that was factored out but leave the positive 0.25 inside the brackets. Now simply.

You should be able to take it from there.

FAQ: What is the equation of a parabola?

What is the equation of a parabola?

The equation of a parabola is y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable.

How do you graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you can plot points using the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c or use the vertex form y = a(x-h)^2 + k, where (h,k) is the vertex of the parabola. You can also use transformations, such as shifting and stretching, to graph the parabola.

What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the parabola reaches its maximum or minimum value. It is also the point where the parabola changes direction from increasing to decreasing or vice versa. The coordinates of the vertex can be found using the formula (-b/2a, c-b^2/4a).

What is the axis of symmetry of a parabola?

The axis of symmetry of a parabola is a vertical line that divides the parabola into two symmetrical halves. It passes through the vertex of the parabola and is perpendicular to the directrix. Its equation can be found using the formula x = -b/2a.

What is the directrix of a parabola?

The directrix of a parabola is a horizontal line that is parallel to the x-axis and is located at a distance of p units from the vertex, where p is the distance between the vertex and the focus. It is used to define the shape of the parabola and its equation can be found using the formula y = (c-b^2/4a) - p.

Back