Equation of Circle Homework: Find Length of Radius & Equation

• Thread starter atavistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, we are given a circle that touches the line y=x at a point P, where OP=4*2^1/2 and the circle contains the point (-10,2) in its interior. The length of the chord on the line x+y=0 is 6root2. We are asked to determine the equation of the circle. After some calculations, we find that the center of the circle is (4,4) and the radius is 3root2. However, it is not clear why the chord should be perpendicular to the tangent, and this fact is used to conclude that the radius is half the length of the chord. Further information or clarification is needed to complete the solution.
atavistic

Homework Statement

A circle touches the line y=x at a pont P such that OP = 4*2^1/2 i.e 4root2 , where O is the origin.The circle contains the point (-10,2) in its interior and the length of its chord on the line x+y=0 is 6root2.Determine the equation of the circle.

The attempt at a solution

OK as its clear that the chord is perpendicular to the tangent so its part of the normal line and hence the diameter.So the length of the radius of the circle is 3root2.

Secondly using under-root S1 = length of tangent drawn from (x1,y1) I got c= 32.

I can't proceed any further.What use is the internal point?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would just draw this on graph paper and see if that helps.

atavistic said:

Homework Statement

A circle touches the line y=x at a pont P such that OP = 4*2^1/2 i.e 4root2 , where O is the origin.The circle contains the point (-10,2) in its interior and the length of its chord on the line x+y=0 is 6root2.Determine the equation of the circle.

The attempt at a solution

OK as its clear that the chord is perpendicular to the tangent so its part of the normal line and hence the diameter.So the length of the radius of the circle is 3root2.

Secondly using under-root S1 = length of tangent drawn from (x1,y1) I got c= 32.

I can't proceed any further.What use is the internal point?
The distance from (0,0) to (x,y) is [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex]. You are saying that OP= [itex]4\sqrt{2}[/itex] so [itex]x^2+ y^2= 32[/itex]. Since, in addition, the point is on the line y= x, [itex]2x^2= 32[/itex], [itex]x^2= 16[/itex], x= 4. P is the point (4,4). The circle passes through the point (4,4). If you could find the center of the circle, you could use that to find the radius and then write down the equation of the circle.

Why is it "clear that the chord is perpendicular to the tangent"? the only time a chord is perpendicular to the tangent to the circle is when the chord is a diameter! You appear to use that to conclude that the radius of the circle must be half the length of that chord, but I can see no reason that it should be "clear".

Related to Equation of Circle Homework: Find Length of Radius & Equation

1. What is the equation of a circle?

The equation of a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) is the center of the circle and r is the radius.

2. How do I find the length of the radius of a circle?

To find the length of the radius, you can use the equation of a circle and plug in the x and y coordinates of any point on the circle. Then, solve for r.

3. Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the radius?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the radius if you know the coordinates of the center of the circle and any point on the circle. Simply use the distance formula to calculate the distance between the two points, and that will be the length of the radius.

4. Is there a difference between the equation of a circle and the distance formula?

Yes, the equation of a circle and the distance formula are related, but they are not the same. The distance formula is used to find the distance between two points, while the equation of a circle is used to represent the relationship between all points on the circle.

5. Can I use the equation of a circle to find the length of the diameter?

Yes, you can use the equation of a circle to find the length of the diameter. The diameter is twice the length of the radius, so if you know the radius, you can simply multiply it by 2 to find the length of the diameter.