Equation of Motion for 2 Springs with Different Constants & Mass Attached

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an equation for a system involving two springs with different constants, attached to a mass and a ceiling. The equation involves finding the tension in the second spring equal to the force of gravity, and determining the effective constant of the system. The speaker suggests solving for the system's K and explains the steps to do so.
brad sue
Please , I need to set up the equation for two springs.

The first one is attached to a ceiling and has a constant k. The second one is attached at the tail of the first one and has a spring constant k'.

If a mass m is attached to the second spring, How can I set up the equation for the system?

Physics news on Phys.org
the bob will be pulled downward by Earth's gravity.
It will accelerate downward until the Tension in spring #2 is equal to mg .
How far has the bob moved by now? What is the effective "k"?

lightgrav said:
the bob will be pulled downward by Earth's gravity.
It will accelerate downward until the Tension in spring #2 is equal to mg .
How far has the bob moved by now? What is the effective "k"?

well I see what you mean but I don't know the answer.

I think that the bob will move down by mg=-kx----> x=mg/k''
k'' is the new constant that I don't know ...

please help me because I don't understand how the system reatcs...

B

Firstly, you should solve the whole system's K .
Briefly, F1 is the first spring's force;
F2 is the second spring's force;
then you get F1 = k*Deta X1
F2 = k'*Deta X2
but if the two springs connected, the force will be the same.
so k*Deta X1 = k'*Deta X2 = F
and Deta X = Deta X1 + Deta X2 = F/k+ F/k' = F(k+k')/kk'
so F=Deta X * kk'/(k+k')
and mX'' = (X-X0) * kk'/(k+k')
and you got it.
good luck :smile:

1) What is the equation of motion for 2 springs with different constants and mass attached?

The equation of motion for this system is given by F = -k1x1 - k2x2 + mäx, where F is the net force acting on the mass, k1 and k2 are the spring constants for the two springs, x1 and x2 are the displacements of the two springs, m is the mass attached to the springs, and a is the acceleration of the mass.

2) How do the spring constants and mass affect the motion of the system?

The spring constants determine the strength of each spring, and thus, the amount of force they exert on the mass. A higher spring constant will result in a greater force and thus, a faster acceleration. The mass affects the system by providing inertia, or resistance to change in motion. A larger mass will require a greater force to produce the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

3) What happens if one spring is stiffer than the other?

If one spring has a higher spring constant than the other, it will exert a greater force on the mass and cause the mass to experience a higher acceleration. The displacement of each spring will also be different, with the stiffer spring experiencing a smaller displacement compared to the more flexible spring.

4) Can the displacement of the springs affect the motion of the system?

Yes, the displacement of the springs directly affects the net force acting on the mass, which in turn affects the acceleration of the mass. If the springs are displaced in opposite directions, the forces will cancel each other out and the mass will remain at rest. However, if the springs are displaced in the same direction, the forces will add up and result in a larger acceleration.

5) Are there any real-life applications of this equation of motion?

Yes, this equation can be applied to various real-life situations such as the suspension system of a car, where the springs have different stiffness and the mass of the car affects its overall motion. It can also be used in engineering design to analyze and predict the behavior of systems with multiple springs and masses attached.