Equation of relation that has mulitple y points

In summary, the conversation is about finding the smallest possible equation or function, F, that can fit a given set of data points, where each x value has multiple possible y values. The goal is to find a function that utilizes this redundancy and can potentially be smaller than a polynomial of degree (n-1). The question is whether this is possible and if there are techniques that can achieve this.
Learner
Hi, well I need something close to curve fitting. But I am not sure if it could serve the purpose. The problem is as below:
Suppose, I have the following relation X r Y. Here X is a natural number set. Suppose we have "k" sets,D1,D2,..Dk of selected datapoints over natural number, such that the intersection of all Di's is null set. Let Y be a set of all Di's.

The relation relates every x, to a set of possible data point sets in Y.

As an example see this, here we have k=3.

X Y
1 {2, 4, 5, 10, 12, 13 }
2 { 3,7,8,9,11,14}
3 {1,6, 15,17, 20, 22}
4 {2, 4, 5, 10, 12, 13 }
5 { 3,7,8,9,11,14}

The question is to find the Smallest equation/function F that Exactly fits the given data in such a way that F(x) just outputs anyone of the datapoint from the Di. I do not need the whole Di.Just anyone of the value from Di.

As an example, the F may be

X Y
1 2
2 3
3 1
4 2
5 3

I need to find the relation F :)

Well, I am looking for the smallest degree function. There is no restriction that it should be polynomial even.( May be aCos(x)+bSin(x) etc. ). What I am looking for is a technique that can take advantage of the fact that it has multiple candidate y points for each x. Many traditional curve fitting techniques tend to fit the curve around one y point.

My hypothesis is that since we have multiple candidate y points for each x, one can exploit this redundancy, and might be able to get a function much smaller than (n-1) polynomial. How true is this ?

If you know that I have chosen the wrong forum, please point me to the right place. Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I am looking for the smallest degree function. There is no restriction that it should be polynomial even.( May be aCos(x)+bSin(x) etc. ). What I am looking for is a technique that can take advantage of the fact that it has multiple candidate y points for each x. Many traditional curve fitting techniques tend to fit the curve around one y point.

My hypothesis is that since we have multiple candidate y points for each x, one can exploit this redundancy, and might be able to get a function much smaller than (n-1) polynomial. How true is this?

1. What is an equation of relation that has multiple y points?

An equation of relation that has multiple y points is an equation that represents a relationship between two variables, where there are multiple possible values for the dependent variable, or y. This means that for a given value of the independent variable, or x, there can be more than one corresponding value for y.

2. How do you graph an equation of relation that has multiple y points?

To graph an equation of relation that has multiple y points, you will need to plot each point on a coordinate plane. For each value of x, find the corresponding values of y and plot them on the graph. Then, connect the points with a smooth curve to represent the relationship between the variables.

3. What does a graph of an equation of relation with multiple y points look like?

A graph of an equation of relation with multiple y points may not be a straight line, as there are multiple values for y for a given x. It may have a curved shape, depending on the relationship between the two variables. The graph will pass through all the plotted points and may continue beyond them.

4. How do you find the slope of an equation of relation that has multiple y points?

The slope of an equation of relation that has multiple y points can be found by selecting any two points on the graph and using the slope formula: (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). This will give you the rate of change between the two points and represents the slope of the line that connects them.

5. Can an equation of relation with multiple y points have a negative slope?

Yes, an equation of relation with multiple y points can have a negative slope. This means that as the value of x increases, the corresponding values of y decrease. The slope can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the relationship between the variables in the equation.