1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of relation that has mulitple y points

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    Hi, well I need something close to curve fitting. But I am not sure if it could serve the purpose. The problem is as below:
    Suppose, I have the following relation X r Y. Here X is a natural number set. Suppose we have "k" sets,D1,D2,..Dk of selected datapoints over natural number, such that the intersection of all Di's is null set. Let Y be a set of all Di's.

The relation relates every x, to a set of possible data point sets in Y.

As an example see this, here we have k=3.

X Y
    1 {2, 4, 5, 10, 12, 13 }
    2 { 3,7,8,9,11,14}
    3 {1,6, 15,17, 20, 22}
    4 {2, 4, 5, 10, 12, 13 }
    5 { 3,7,8,9,11,14}

The question is to find the Smallest equation/function F that Exactly fits the given data in such a way that F(x) just outputs any one of the datapoint from the Di. I do not need the whole Di.Just any one of the value from Di.

As an example, the F may be

X Y
    1 2
    2 3
    3 1
    4 2
    5 3

I need to find the relation F :)

Well, I am looking for the smallest degree function. There is no restriction that it should be polynomial even.( May be aCos(x)+bSin(x) etc. ). What I am looking for is a technique that can take advantage of the fact that it has multiple candidate y points for each x. Many traditional curve fitting techniques tend to fit the curve around one y point.

My hypothesis is that since we have multiple candidate y points for each x, one can exploit this redundancy, and might be able to get a function much smaller than (n-1) polynomial. How true is this ?

If you know that I have chosen the wrong forum, please point me to the right place. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3
    Well, I am looking for the smallest degree function. There is no restriction that it should be polynomial even.( May be aCos(x)+bSin(x) etc. ). What I am looking for is a technique that can take advantage of the fact that it has multiple candidate y points for each x. Many traditional curve fitting techniques tend to fit the curve around one y point.

My hypothesis is that since we have multiple candidate y points for each x, one can exploit this redundancy, and might be able to get a function much smaller than (n-1) polynomial. How true is this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook