Equation of the path of the particle

  • Thread starter Thread starter skybox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Particle Path
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 14K views
skybox
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The x and y coordinates of a particle moving in the x-y plane are [tex]x=8sin(t)[/tex] and [tex]y=6cos(t)[/tex]. What is the equation of the path of the particle?


Homework Equations


[tex]m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]
[tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I am stuck on how to approach this problem.
I drew a picture:
7jw9usI.png
. Can I use one point as the origin, (0,0) and the second point as (8sint, 6cost) and use the equation of a line to find the 'path' of the particule? I am confused if the path of the particule means the equation of the line?

Any tips and hints would be great. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
hi skybox! :smile:
skybox said:
Can I use one point as the origin, (0,0) and the second point as (8sint, 6cost) and use the equation of a line to find the 'path' of the particule? I am confused if the path of the particule means the equation of the line?

no, the path of the particle means the curve joining all the points (8sint, 6cost) :wink:

(if you're still stuck, come back for a hint)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
tiny-tim said:
hi skybox! :smile:


no, the path of the particle means the curve joining all the points (8sint, 6cost) :wink:

(if you're still stuck, come back for a hint)

Thanks tiny-tim. After some research, looks like this is a parametric equation. Since it has cosines and sines, it will most likely be a circle or ellipse from [tex]0<=x<=2\pi[/tex].

I will try to solve this and post the solution when done. Thanks again!
 
I was able to solve it! Attached is the solution (as an image I did in Word) if anyone is interested.
 
Attachments
  • solution.PNG
    solution.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,389
me! me! i'm interested! :smile:

yes, nicely done :wink:​

(btw, for a lot of purposes, the form x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1 is preferred, so you could have stopped there)