1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of the path of the particle

1. Jun 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The x and y coordinates of a particle moving in the x-y plane are [tex]x=8sin(t)[/tex] and [tex]y=6cos(t)[/tex]. What is the equation of the path of the particle?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]
    [tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am stuck on how to approach this problem.
    I drew a picture:
    7jw9usI.png . Can I use one point as the origin, (0,0) and the second point as (8sint, 6cost) and use the equation of a line to find the 'path' of the particule? I am confused if the path of the particule means the equation of the line?

Any tips and hints would be great. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi skybox! :smile:
    no, the path of the particle means the curve joining all the points (8sint, 6cost) :wink:

(if you're still stuck, come back for a hint)

4. Jun 22, 2013 #3
    Thanks tiny-tim. After some research, looks like this is a parametric equation. Since it has cosines and sines, it will most likely be a circle or ellipse from [tex]0<=x<=2\pi[/tex].

I will try to solve this and post the solution when done. Thanks again!

5. Jun 22, 2013 #4
    I was able to solve it! Attached is the solution (as an image I did in Word) if anyone is interested.

Attached Files:

6. Jun 23, 2013 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

me! me! i'm interested! :smile:

yes, nicely done :wink:

(btw, for a lot of purposes, the form x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1 is preferred, so you could have stopped there)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted