Equation of the path of the particle

In summary, the equation of the path of the particle moving in the x-y plane with coordinates x=8sin(t) and y=6cos(t) is a parametric equation and can be represented as x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1, where a and b are constants. The path of the particle is a circle or ellipse with 0<=x<=2\pi.
skybox

Homework Statement

The x and y coordinates of a particle moving in the x-y plane are [tex]x=8sin(t)[/tex] and [tex]y=6cos(t)[/tex]. What is the equation of the path of the particle?

Homework Equations

[tex]m=\frac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}[/tex]
[tex]y-y_1=m(x-x_1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck on how to approach this problem.
I drew a picture:
7jw9usI.png
. Can I use one point as the origin, (0,0) and the second point as (8sint, 6cost) and use the equation of a line to find the 'path' of the particule? I am confused if the path of the particule means the equation of the line?

Any tips and hints would be great. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi skybox! :smile:
skybox said:
Can I use one point as the origin, (0,0) and the second point as (8sint, 6cost) and use the equation of a line to find the 'path' of the particule? I am confused if the path of the particule means the equation of the line?

no, the path of the particle means the curve joining all the points (8sint, 6cost) :wink:

(if you're still stuck, come back for a hint)

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
hi skybox! :smile:

no, the path of the particle means the curve joining all the points (8sint, 6cost) :wink:

(if you're still stuck, come back for a hint)

Thanks tiny-tim. After some research, looks like this is a parametric equation. Since it has cosines and sines, it will most likely be a circle or ellipse from [tex]0<=x<=2\pi[/tex].

I will try to solve this and post the solution when done. Thanks again!

I was able to solve it! Attached is the solution (as an image I did in Word) if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• solution.PNG
    solution.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 2,278
me! me! i'm interested! :smile:

yes, nicely done :wink:

(btw, for a lot of purposes, the form x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1 is preferred, so you could have stopped there)

1. What is the equation of the path of a particle?

The equation of the path of a particle is a mathematical representation of the trajectory or movement of a particle in a given system. It is typically expressed in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration over a specific period of time.

2. How is the equation of the path of a particle derived?

The equation of the path of a particle is derived using mathematical principles and laws, such as Newton's laws of motion and calculus. It takes into account the initial conditions and forces acting on the particle to determine its path.

3. Can the equation of the path of a particle be used to predict its future position?

Yes, the equation of the path of a particle can be used to predict the future position of a particle, as long as the initial conditions and forces acting on the particle remain constant.

4. Does the equation of the path of a particle change if the system is non-linear?

Yes, the equation of the path of a particle can change if the system is non-linear. In non-linear systems, the equations of motion may become more complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

5. Can the equation of the path of a particle be applied to any type of particle?

Yes, the equation of the path of a particle can be applied to any type of particle, as long as it is moving within a defined system and is subject to forces that can be described mathematically. This includes particles such as atoms, planets, and even subatomic particles.